A fire broke out at a coating company in Venlo during the early hours of Tuesday morning. Hazardous substances were measured in the smoke released. The air alarm in Venlo was sounded and an NL-Alert was issued, warning local residents to stay out of the smoke, keep their windows and doors closed, and turn off their ventilation, NU.nl reports.
A slight amount of sulfur dioxide was measured, which can cause eye irritation, breathing problems and swallowing problems. There were also reports of formic acid released by the fire, but this turned out not to be the case.