Toxins released in fire at Venlo business
A fire broke out at a coating company in Venlo during the early hours of Tuesday morning. Hazardous substances were measured in the smoke released. The air alarm in Venlo was sounded and an NL-Alert was issued, warning local residents to stay out of the smoke, keep their windows and doors closed, and turn off their ventilation, NU.nl reports.
A slight amount of sulfur dioxide was measured, which can cause eye irritation, breathing problems and swallowing problems. There were also reports of formic acid released by the fire, but this turned out not to be the case.
The fire department responded to the company on Groot-Bollerweg at around 2:30 a.m. The fire started in acid baths that are used to clean materials. This part of the company can be considered lost. Smaller fires also broke out in other parts of the company. The fire department is trying to prevent the fire spreading to neighboring companies. The business park is closed and people are warned to stay out of the area.
Grote vlammen bij het bedrijf aan de Groot Bollerweg zijn van flinke afstand te zien. pic.twitter.com/fRL4CdFgYr— Omroep Venlo (@omroepvenlo) August 7, 2018