The shooting in Utrecht on Monday that cost the lives of three people and left three other seriously injured is influencing the voting behavior of people in the Provincial States election today, according to a poll by Maurice de Hond. People voting for right-wing, anti-Islam parties FvD and PVV in particular are now more determined to cast their votes on Wednesday, De Hond found.
On Tuesday evening the 13 political party leaders responded to the shooting in Utrecht, in which three people were killed and three seriously injured, at the start of the last political debate before the Provincial States elections on Wednesday.
Eleven men, including the former deputy head prosecutor of the National Office and fraud specialist Vincent L., are being prosecuted for paying to commit sexual acts with an underage boy, NU.nl reports
The police took down 10 fake online stores which were made to look like English versions of real Dutch stores on Tuesday. Two suspects, a 40-year-old man from Leeuwarden and a 21-year-old man from Groningen, were arrested.
These English-language sites looked like the websites of real Dutch stores, with web addresses that were very similar to those of recognized stores with a Chamber of Commerce registration. Visitors bought products like milk powder, energy drinks, shampoo, deodorant and alcohol. After payment, the products were never delivered.
Authorities tracked down Utrecht mass shooting suspect Gökmen T. using both financial technology and modern technology investigative techniques. The suspect is accused of killing three people and injuring five others after a carjacking in the city.
T. was found after an hours-long manhunt because he used a borrowed mobile phone to transfer money to a friend, reported both De Telegraaf and AD based on information from an anonymous source. The police were already monitoring T.'s financial activities by the time he was revealed as a main suspect in the case.
So far the investigation into a shooting on 24 Oktoberlaan in Utrecht on Monday revealed no links between suspected gunman 37-year-old Gokmen T. and the victims, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima expressed their shock about a shooting in Utrecht that left three people killed and five injured on Monday. Their sympathies are with the victims, and their thoughts with the residents of Utrecht, they said in a statement on the Koninklijk Huis website. A number of world leaders also expressed condolences and support.
Gokmen T., the 37-year-old man suspected of killing three people and injuring five in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday, has a lengthy criminal record and is considered "scum" among his neighbors. But they don't believe him a terrorist. Relationship problems were behind the shooting, not religion, they told the Volkskrant. Angelique, the victim in a rape case against T., believes the same.
More information is becoming available about the victims of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Rinke Terpstra, a coach at football association DESTO in Leisdche Rijn, and Roos Verschuur, a 19-year-old employee of the Kwalitaria snackbar in Vianen, were killed in the shooting.
Flags across The Netherlands will be lowered, and will fly at half-staff on Tuesday, said Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte at a press conference on Monday evening. The move is in response to a mass shooting that left three people dead, and at least five others injured in Utrecht.
One person was taken into custody during the police investigation into a mass shooting in Utrecht. The suspect, 37-year-old Gökmen T., was identified by police earlier as the primary suspect and was still at large when the press conference began. That situation changed suddenly, with new information revealed right at the end of the event.
Three people were killed, and five others were injured in the Monday morning attack on a tram at the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht, according to the police and the city's mayor Jan van Zanen. At least three of the victims are in serious or critical condition. While terrorism is under suspicion as the primary motive according to the mayor, witnesses said it looked as though the suspect was targeting a woman and then anyone who tried to help her.
"Our country was startled today by an attack in Utrecht," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said at the beginning of a hastily arranged press conference on Monday afternoon. He was addressing journalists following a shooting inside a tram on the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning.
Police in Utrecht are searching for 37-year-old Gökmen T. in connection with the apparent fatal shooting at 24 Oktoberplein in the city. Police released a photo of the man, while simultaneously authorities were investigating the scene of an abandoned car with broadcast reports of a possible explosion threat.
The tram doors wouldn't immediately open after a man opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht at around 10:45 a.m. on Monday morning, according to one witness. Multiple people were injured. Journalists at the scene report seeing a body covered by a sheet, according to NOS. Though the authorities have not yet confirmed whether anyone was killed.
The Dutch authorities are looking for one suspect following a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the national coordinator for counterterrorism and security NCTV, said in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He added that it can not be ruled out that more people were involved.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte is very worried by a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning. "Very disturbing news', he said to NOS as he was heading back to his office to meet with a crisis team that has been gathered. The national coordinator for counter terrorism and security NCTV increased the threat level for the province of Utrecht to 5, the highest threat level, until at least 6:00 p.m.
Multiple people were injured in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Emergency services are at the scene, including trauma helicopters and an anti-terrorism unit of the police. The police are investigating. "A possible terrorist motive is part of the investigation", the Utrecht police said on Twitter.
Exactly what happened is not yet clear. On Twitter the police confirmed that the shooting happened on a tram at 10:45 a.m. Witness reports speak of at least one person killed, though this has not been confirmed by the authorities.
Police officers faced much more violence aimed against them over New Year's than the official figures show, the police's Central Works Council said after extensive investigation. Of the over 3,400 police officers that participated in the council's survey, 326 said they were confronted with one or more forms of violence, ranging from verbal threats to physical violence, ANP reports.
A car with four people inside crashed into a tree in the Drenthe town of Hooghalen during the early hours of Sunday morning. A 20-year-old man from Westerbork and a 25-year-old man from Smilde were killed. Two others, a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy both from Westerbork, were seriously injured, the Drenthe police said on Twitter.
The accident happened on Laaghalerveen. The cause of the accident is not yet clear, the police are investigating.
The victims' families were informed.
A 55-year-old man and his 17-year-old daughter were injured in a shooting in Amstelveen on Saturday afternoon. The injured man has a criminal record and is suspected of cocaine trafficking and money laundering, according to broadcaster NOS.
The shooting happened at around 12:00 p.m. on Grote Wielen in Westwijk. The two victims were taken to hospital. Both were conscious and able to speak to aid workers. According to the police, they sustained only minor injuries.
Several hundred people gathered on Dam Square in Amsterdam on Sunday afternoon for a peace event in commemoration of the victims of attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday. The event was organized by 13 organizations who want to "send a powerful signal for peace and against terror", NU.nl reports.
On Friday a right-wing extremist man opened fire on two mosques in the New Zealand city. 50 people were killed and dozens were injured.
A 41-year-old man from Hoogvliet was arrested at the Maastad Hospital in Rotterdam on Friday night on suspicion of stabbing his 8-year-old daughter to death, presumably in the hospital, the police said in a statement. The man will be arraigned on Tuesday.
According to the police, the man came to the hospital with his daughter earlier in the evening for unknown reasons. When they left again, the crisis team of youth protection called the police. Aid workers were very concerned about the welfare of the girl.