One person was killed in a fire in an assisted-living apartment building in the Gelderland town of Buren early on Monday morning. And a 77-year-old resident of a care center in Zeist was injured in a fire the police believe was caused by fireworks.
A group of Arnhem young people's New Year's party ended early when the balcony they were standing on collapsed on Sunday. Three people were injured, one sustaining a back injury. The injured young people were taken to hospital in stable condition, the Gelderlander reports.
According to the fire department, 10 people were standing on the balcony on Kastanjelaan when it collapsed just before midnight. Some others sustained minor injuries and were treated by ambulances that responded to the scene.
A 29-year-old man from Goudswaard tried to crash his car into a firefighter in Schiedam on Thursday. "Our colleague managed to jump away just in time. This is absurd", a spokesperson for local safety office Veiligheidsregio Rotterdam-Rijmond said to newspaper AD.
Commander Lucien Groenewegen of the Haaglanden fire brigade calls on people in the large Dutch cities to extinguish small fires themselves during New Year's. In this way they can take some pressure off firefighters on what is traditionally a very busy night for them, he said to the Telegraaf.
"Obviously only when it comes to fires that people can extinguish themselves", Groenewegen said. "Citizens must alert us immediately if people are in danger or cars can catch fire."
A carbon monoxide leak at pizzeria Fratelli in Leidschendam left 19 people feeling unwell on Christmas. Emergency services responded to the Italian restaurant on Sluiskant over lunch time after receiving a report of people falling ill, RTL Nieuws reports.
Update 11:20 a.m. - The hostage situation ended with police overpowering the suspect, officials said just before 11 a.m. A new news story about the turbulent event was published on NL Times soon after.
Emergency services responded to the Chemelot industrial estate near Geleen on Wednesday morning after an alarm was triggered for an ammonia leak. A number of streets in the neighboring district of Lindenheuvel are closed to traffic as a precaution, 1Limburg reports.
The toxic substance leaked around 7:45 a.m., according to the newspaper. Ambulances and fire brigade measuring teams responded. Nobody was injured, and firefighters measured no risky quantities of the hazardous substance around the industrial estate.
A large fire in Lebanese restaurant and sisha lounge Comptoir resulted in the evacuation of apartment tower 100Hoog in Rotterdam on Tuesday night. Local residents told AD that they heard a few loud bangs, a car speeding away, and a "conversation that looked like an argument". The police mentioned an explosion, but could not confirm any of the residents' stories.
An apartment building on Valkenhorst in Leiden was evacuated just after midnight after the fire department discovered that several geysers in the building emit far too much carbon monoxide. The fire brigade was called in after a family living in the building went to hospital when they felt ill, Omroep West reports.
The fire brigade evacuated all 42 homes in the building. Around 10 people were checked by ambulance personnel. Residents were given shelter in an adjacent shopping mall.
A man from Newcastle in England is feared drowned after he fell from a party boat on the Noordzee canal just outside Amsterdam around 00:30 a.m. on Sunday. Emergency services searched the canal for hours, but eventually had to halt the search without success, local safety office Veiligheidsregio Zaanstreek-Waterland said on Twitter.
The man went overboard near Westzaan. The captain of the ship threw a life jacket to him, but the man disappeared under water, according to newspaper AD.
An increasing number of house fires in the Netherlands is caused by overheating chargers, according to the Home Fire Risk Monitor by the Netherlands Fire Brigade and Dutch association of insurers VNV. Do not leave a laptop, cellphone or tablet on charge overnight or when no one is at home, they warn, according to the Telegraaf.
A firefighter in the Amsterdam-Amstelland fire department was suspended for making racist comments to a colleague, a spokesperson for the fire department confirmed to the Telegraaf on Sunday.
The suspended firefighter is employed as a commander in the fire department. The spokesperson could give no further information about the firefighter or the investigation against him.
Two potato barns on Molenweg in the Groningen town of Westeremden were destroyed in a large fire during the early hours of Monday morning. Asbestos was released in the fire, according to the Groningen fire department.
The larger pieces of asbestos settled in the immediate vicinity of the farm on which the fire raged, but it is possible that smaller pieces spread further. The fire brigade will inform local residents about what to do if they find asbestos around their home on Monday morning, according to RTV Noord.
Asbestos was released during a large fire on industrial terrain Liesbosch in Nieuwegein on Sunday night. On Monday morning a number of roads around the terrain, including the N408 in both directions, are closed to the public, as the authorities investigate how far the asbestos spread.
The fire started in a warehouse on Ravenswade, which used to be a distribution center for supermarket chain Albert Heijn, according to news wire ANP. Firefighters had the fire under control around 1:00 a.m. The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
An overnight fire at the Stedelijk Museum in Zwolle was caused by a humidifier exploding, the director of the museum told De Stentor. According to him, the spontaneous explosion was recorded by the surveillance cameras. The fire caused large amount of damage and the museum will likely be closed for repairs for a long time, the director expects.
An overnight fire in the Stedelijk Museum in Zwolle caused massive damage to multiple valuable artworks. The damage is estimated in the hundreds of thousands of euros, De Stentor reports.
The fire department responded to the museum around 00:15 a.m. The fire started on the ground floor of the old part of the museum and spread to the walls and ceiling. The fire brigade quickly managed to get it under control, but as the old part of the museum is one large area, the smoke easily spread through the building.
A dozen homes in the Friesland town of Haulerwijk were evacuated early on Monday morning. A dangerous explosive was left in an ATM on Oosterwoldseweg after a failed attempt to blow the machine open to steal the cash inside, the Friesland police said on Twitter.
A fire on the 7th floor of an apartment building on Söderblomplaats in Rotterdam left one person dead on Thursday night. Seven others were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, AD report.
The mother of David Swart, a student who died in an apartment building fire in Diemen this summer, is pressing charges against te fire department. Another person was seriously injured in the fire. The victims were only found hours after the fire started and the fire department had the fire under control.
During the early hours of Thursday morning the Gelderland town of Epe dealt with its fourth overnight fire in a row, and the sixth fire in a short time. Around 3:45 a.m., the fire department responded to a fire in a detached wooden chalet at De Koekamp campground, Omroep Gelderland reports.
The chalet was completely engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The fire was under control by 4:30 a.m., but the chalet can be considered lost, according to the fire department. The police believe it was arson.
A large fire broke out in a warehouse on Kromstraat in Valkenswaard on Monday night. Asbestos was found in the warehouse's roof. Released soot and ash spread across a wide area around the warehouse. Local residents are advised to keep their doors and windows closed. The fire department is investigating whether asbestos polluted the surrounding area, Eindhovens Dagblad reports.
The fire department is busy pumping the water out of a bond in Blookerpark in Huis ter Heide in the search for 25-year-old Anne Faber. On Thursday evening, a bicycle was found in the pond that looks like the one belonging to the missing Utrecht woman, who disappeared while cycling last week Friday, AD reports.
Two technicians were injured when a windmill in Zeewolde they were working on caught fire on Wednesday afternoon. They sustained injuries on their hands, AD report.
The fire started around noon. The fire department responded en masse. Ambulances were also deployed to treat the technicians.
A large fire is raging at the warehouse of a car company on De Meeten in Roosendaal on Wednesday morning. A thick cloud of black smoke is moving towards the city center. The local safety office is calling on residents to stay out of the smoke and keep their windows and doors closed.