Utrecht mass shooter ordered to appear in court next week

Gökmen T. suspected in the Utrecht shooting on Oktoberplein
Gökmen T., 37, a Turkish-born suspect in the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht. 18 March 2019. (photo: Politie Utrecht)

Gokmen T., the man suspected of killing four people and hurting multiple others in a mass shooting in Utrecht in March, must attend the next pro-forma hearing in the case against him, the court in Midden-Nederland ordered.

T. previously stated in writing that he did not want to be present, but the court "considers it important to be able to speak to the suspect during this hearing about the progress of his criminal case", the court said, NU.nl reports.

The next hearing in this case is scheduled for Monday, July 1st. 

The 37-year-old man confessed to the mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on March 18th and told the authorities that he was acting alone. He opened fire on a tram. Four people were killed - a 19-year-old woman and three men aged 28, 49, and 74 years. He is facing multiple charges of murder or manslaughter with terrorist intent, attempts thereto, and threats with terrorist intent.

T. was convicted multiple times in the past, including for shoplifting and burglary. He is also currently on trial for rape. 

Tags: