The victims of a mass sooting in Utrecht on Monday were commemorated with a silent march in the city on Friday. The 16 thousand attendees included Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security, Mayor of Amsterdam Femke Halsema, Den Haag mayor Pauline Krikken, and Rotterdam's Deputy Mayor Bert Wijbenga.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
A 27-year-old man that was held for a time in connection with a fatal shooting on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, says that people still see him as an attacker - even though the police released him because he wasn't involved in the attack. "On social media I have been called a traitor, and on the street I am addressed as a terrorist", he said to newspaper AD.
A group of Utrecht residents are organizing a silent march for the victims of a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The march will start at 7:00 p.m. on Friday on Jaarbeursplein, from where participants will walk to the scene of the attack, NU.nl reports.
"We want do do this for Utrecht", one of the organizers said to DUIC. "We want to show that we will not be knocked apart. And that we are actually getting closer together and supporting each other in this time."
The police found no indications that suspected gunman Gokmen T. received help from other people in the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. He acted alone with terrorist intent, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Thursday.
The shooting in Utrecht on Monday that cost the lives of three people and left three other seriously injured is influencing the voting behavior of people in the Provincial States election today, according to a poll by Maurice de Hond. People voting for right-wing, anti-Islam parties FvD and PVV in particular are now more determined to cast their votes on Wednesday, De Hond found.
On Tuesday evening the 13 political party leaders responded to the shooting in Utrecht, in which three people were killed and three seriously injured, at the start of the last political debate before the Provincial States elections on Wednesday.
The Tweede Kamer, the lower house of Dutch parliament, held a moment of silence on Tuesday afternoon to commemorate the three victims killed in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. The President of the Tweede Kamer, Khadija Arib, opened Tuesday's weekly question and answer session speaking in honor of the victims in Utrecht and also the fifty people killed in a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.
So far the investigation into a shooting on 24 Oktoberlaan in Utrecht on Monday revealed no links between suspected gunman 37-year-old Gokmen T. and the victims, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima expressed their shock about a shooting in Utrecht that left three people killed and five injured on Monday. Their sympathies are with the victims, and their thoughts with the residents of Utrecht, they said in a statement on the Koninklijk Huis website. A number of world leaders also expressed condolences and support.
Gokmen T., the 37-year-old man suspected of killing three people and injuring five in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday, has a lengthy criminal record and is considered "scum" among his neighbors. But they don't believe him a terrorist. Relationship problems were behind the shooting, not religion, they told the Volkskrant. Angelique, the victim in a rape case against T., believes the same.
More information is becoming available about the victims of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Rinke Terpstra, a coach at football association DESTO in Leisdche Rijn, and Roos Verschuur, a 19-year-old employee of the Kwalitaria snackbar in Vianen, were killed in the shooting.
Multiple people were injured in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Emergency services are at the scene, including trauma helicopters and an anti-terrorism unit of the police. The police are investigating. "A possible terrorist motive is part of the investigation", the Utrecht police said on Twitter.
Exactly what happened is not yet clear. On Twitter the police confirmed that the shooting happened on a tram at 10:45 a.m. Witness reports speak of at least one person killed, though this has not been confirmed by the authorities.
The fact that the court in The Hague ruled that the police are partly liable for a mass shooting in the Ridderhof shopping center in Alphen aan den Rijn in 2011, is an important "victory" for the victims, one of the survivors Adem Aksoy said to RTL Nieuws. "Finally justice."
The police can partly be held liable for damages caused by a mass shooting in the Ridderhof shopping center in Alphen aan den Rijn in 2011, the court in The Hague ruled on Tuesday. Personal injury- and death damages can be claimed from the police, according to the court, NU.nl and NOS report.
American actor Samuel L. Jackson praised a parody video made by Dutch TV show Zondag met Lubach about the United States' national rifle association NRA. The video, made in October 2017, rebrands the NRA as nonsensical rifle addiction, and describes the large number of gun deaths in the U.S. as a humanitarian disaster caused by this disease.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte is shocked by the "terrible report" from Orlando in the Untied States about a mass shooting at a night club that left at least 50 people dead and another 53 injured during the early hours of Sunday morning, local time.
Alphen aan den Rijn commemorated the 5th anniversary of a mass shooting in a mall in the city. On April 9th, 2011 Tristan van der Vlis opened fire in the Ridderhof mall, killing six people and injuring 16 others, before committing suicide.
Four the fourth consecutive year, the police issued fewer firearm permits in 2015. The number of issued permits dropped from 72,645 to 72,086, according to figures NU.nl got from the police through the Freedom of Information Act.
The court in The Hague sentenced a 21 year old student to 180 hours of community service, 60 of which conditionally suspended, for threatening a mass shooting at the University of Leiden in October last year
Police arrested a 21-year-old man early Wednesday morning for publishing a mass shooting threat against Leiden University on internet bulletin board 4Chan. The suspect, a student at the university from Valkenburg, Zuid-Holland, was apprehended at about 12:30 a.m.