The court in Utrecht found Gokmen T. guilty of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht last March, killing four people. He was sentenced to life in prison on Friday. The sentence is equal to what the Public Prosecutor demanded.
The trial against the first for suspects in the downing of flight MH17 will continue for the time being, the court in The Hague announced. The next hearing on Monday, March 23, will definitely happen, but in a slimmed-down form.
Only essential people involved will be allowed at the hearing. So no relatives of the victims, press or other interested parties. Only one of the three prosecutors will be in the courtroom, according to NOS. And fewer lawyers are also expected.
A television show presenter was fined two thousand euros for leaving a briefcase in the mess hall of an army base, the court in Zutphen said Monday in its ruling. Prosecutors alleged that the attache case left in 2018 by investigative journalist Alberto Stegeman at the Oldebroek military site was designed to look like a real bomb as part of an investigative report into base security.
The fourth and last day of the trail against Gokmen T., suspected of killing four people in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht last year, had a tumultuous start. For the third time, T. was removed from the courtroom, this time for spitting at the judges and insulting them and their mothers, according to AD's live blog on the trial.
Gokmen T., the 38-year-old man on trial for killing four people in a mass shooting on an Utrecht tram on 18 March 2019, was again removed from court on Tuesday. This time he made a snide comment to one of the victims who survived the attack. "I no longer want the suspect in the room," the court president said, NOS reports. "I don't want order to be disturbed in this way."
Gokmen T., the man on trial for killing four people in a mass shooting in a tram in Utrecht last year, was at his ease during the shooting, according to witnesses. At one point it seemed like he was using Dutch nursery rhyme "iene miene mutte" to choose between two victims, according to a video reconstruction of the attack shown on the first day of the trial against T.
A 21-year-old man from Limburg was sentenced to two years in juvenile detention, six months of which conditionally suspended, for deliberately crashing his car into the audience at a racing event in Leende in September last year. The court in Den Bosch found him guilty of multiple counts of attempted manslaughter, RTL Nieuws reports.
The court in Noord-Holland on Friday sentenced a 23-year-old man to two years in prison, one of which conditionally suspended, for attempting to extort Albert Heijn's parent company Ahold by threatening to poison the supermarket chain's customers. The man will also be on probation for three years, the court said in a ruling issued Friday.
South Africa will not extradite Dutch businessman and convicted arms dealer Guus Kouwenhoven to the Netherlands, the court in Cape Town ruled on Friday. The Dutch man was sentenced to 19 years in prison in 2017 for war crimes and selling arms in Liberia, AD reports.
Suspects of rape are rarely prosecuted in the Netherlands, and those who are often get away with a low sentence. Over the past three years, the courts in the Netherlands never imposed the maximum sentence for rape - 12 years in prison, AD reports based on figures requested from the police, the judiciary and the court about sexual offenses in the past three years.
Forestry association Staatsbosbeheer is still not allowed to cull any more red deer in nature reserve Oostvaardersplassen, the court ruled on Monday in a lawsuit filed by multiple nature organizations, NU.nl reports.
A 41-year-old woman from Amersfoort was acquitted on appeal of manslaughter on her two newborn babies. The bodies of the two children were found in her home in 2014. The Court of Appeal in Den Bosch did not consider manslaughter proven. Experts testified that the babies were likely stillborn. The Public Prosecutor demanded institutionalized psychiatric care against the woman, NOS reports.
The babies were born in 2002 and 2004. The mother, Johanna H., put the bodies in a cookie tin and a beauty case and did not report their deaths to the police until 2014.
At least 1,500 interpreters in the Netherlands are on strike from Monday - they will no longer take work from the judiciary, police and immigration and naturalization service IND. The interpreters are striking against government budget cuts, which they believe come at the expense of quality. According to action group Registertolken en -vertalers, the strike will last as long as necessary, AD reports.
The Dutch State is partly responsible for a plane crash in Faro in 1992 in which 57 people were killed and 106 seriously injured, the court in The Hague ruled on Wednesday. Survivors of the disaster and victims' relatives have been litigating against the State for years in an attempt to find out the causes of the disaster, AD reports.
Two boys arrested on suspicion of setting a fatal fire in the entryway of an Arnhem apartment building were released from pre-trial custody by a magistrate in Gelderland. The magistrate said that while there was sufficient evidence linking the 12 and 13 year old to the fire, their "personal circumstances" must also be taken into account.
The Rotterdam ban on sexual harassment on the street - sometimes also referred to as the cat-calling ban - is contrary to freedom of expression, the court in The Hague ruled on Thursday. It is not up to municipalities to restrict this freedom, only parliament and the Senate can decide to do so, the court ruled, NOS reports.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht in March, did not appear in court for a proforma hearing in his case on Monday, despite a court order that he attend. A lot of violence would have been needed to get him to the courtroom, the court said. "It is not up to the suspect to dictate whether he appears or not, but under these circumstances the court refrains from forcing him to be present," the court president said, according to broadcaster NOS.
The punishments judges in the Netherlands imposed last year were 11 percent higher than 20 years ago, according to a study by the Council for the Judiciary. Perpetrators of violent crimes and sex crimes in particular are punished more harshly, while drug crimes are punished less harshly.
Shell turned to court to demand that all Greenpeace protests be banned on and around the four Brent oil platforms in the British part of the North Sea. In mid-October Greenpeace protested on two of the no-longer-in-use platforms, demanding that Shell dismantle and remove the platforms. A court in Scotland will rule on this case on Thursday, NOS reports.
The Netherlands will not have to retrieve children of Dutch citizens awaiting their fates in Syrian detention and displacement camps, the kids of Dutch women who left the Netherlands to enter conflict zones in Syria and Iraq. The Appellate Court in The Hague overturned a lower court's ten-day old order on an emergency appeal filed on behalf of the Dutch government by the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Security & Justice.
With reporting by Janene Pieters.
Prosecutors upgraded charges against a man arrested in Diemen over the death of a pregnant Brazilian woman and her unborn son. Dennis van E., 48, is facing accusations of aggravated abortion and manslaughter, the Public Prosecution Service (OM) confirmed on Friday. He was ordered held in jail for an additional 70 days in a hearing on Monday while attorneys continue to prepare for the case to come to trial, the Amsterdam district court system told NL Times.
On Tuesday, the court in Rotterdam sentenced Leon van M. to 15 years in prison for the murder of 35-year-old Coraline van Toledo in September 2005. The woman from Oostervoone in Zuid-Holland died after being tied up and stuffed into the trunk of a car, which was then set on fire. The court considered it proven that Van M. was the one who committed this crime ,NU.nl reports.
Junaid I. was sentenced to 10 years in prison for threatening an attack on PVV leader Geert Wilders by the court in The Hague on Monday. The court convicted the 27-year-old Pakistani man of preparing for a murder with a terrorist purpose. The sentence is higher than the six years the Public Prosecutor demanded.
A 26-year-old Australian man was sentenced to 11 years in prison for killing Dutch Gitta Scheenhouwer in a hit-and-run in Melbourne last year. He will be eligible for early release after serving 8.5 years. The man, Michael Panayides, is also banned from driving a car for 20 years, the court in Melbourne ruled, RTL Nieuws reports.