The Public Prosecutor demanded eight years in prison against suspected terrorist Jaouad A. from Rotterdam. The 31-year-old man is charged with preparing for a terrorist crime. "Was he a typical Rotterdam criminal or a potential attacker who wanted to sow death and ruin? We think the last one", the Prosecutor said in court on Thursday, AD reports.
Suspected jihadist Laura H. told the Rotterdam court on Thursday that her husband Ibrahim wanted to commit an attack preferably in the Netherlands, or in another European country. She insists that she did not know what she was doing when she left for Syria in 2015, ANP reports.
People in the Netherlands want the new Dutch government to give top priority to healthcare, according to social and cultural planning office SCP's quarterly survey of what Dutch think about the country. "45 percent of respondents put healthcare on number one", SCP spokesperson Josje den Ridder said to NOS.
From next year, identity checks will be mandatory on all flights within the Schengen area, Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice said, according to BNR. Earlier this week, the broadcaster reported that at least 10 airlines don't do ID checks when passenger check-in on a flight within the Schengen area, making it easy for criminals and terrorists to fly around Europe anonymously.
"I want to return to the Netherlands, for the future of my children", a 23-year-old Dutch jihadist in Syria said in an anonymous interview with Belgian broadcaster VRT. The pregnant woman and her young son are currently living in a refugee camp near the Syrian city of Raqqa.
The Netherlands strives for a strong United Nations in a world that is safe and sustainable, Prime Minister Mark Rutte said in his speech at the UN General Assembly in New York on Wednesday. As a temporary member of the UN Security Council, the Netherlands will dedicate itself to those goals next year, the Dutch Prime Minister said, according to RTL Nieuws.
Rutte considers a strong UN essential. He advocated for the reforms and adjustments UN leader Antonio Guterres is working on. The Netherlands wants better cooperation between UN agencies, he said.
One of the suspects arrested in connection with a terrorist attack on the Parsons Green tube station in London on Friday, has family living in Noord-Brabant, according to Arabic journalist Jenan Moussa, who spoke with the family. She posted their conversation on Twitter.
The suspect in question is 21-year-old Yahyah Farroukh, AD reports. He was arrested on Saturday night, after a homemade bomb went off on Parsons Green on Friday, injuring 29 people. A second arrested suspect, an 18-year-old Iraqi boy, lived in the same foster home as Farroukh in the United Kingdom.
The Hague is putting extra security measures in place for Budget Day next week, paying particular attention to preventing terrorist attacks with vehicles, a spokesperson for the municipality confirmed to NU.nl.
Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice revoked the Dutch nationality of four jihadists. According to him, the four jihadists joined a terrorist organization abroad, NOS reports.
The four jihadists were also declared unwelcome foreigners, which means they can no longer legally return to the Netherlands or to other Schengen countries, according to the broadcaster. They jihadists lost their Dutch citizenship with immediate effect, though a court will review the decision at a later date.
A 22-year-old man from Zevenbergen arrested in August in connection with a terrorism threat in Rotterdam, must be released from custody, the court in Rotterdam ruled on Wednesday. Jimmy F. will be released on Monday, because further investigation must be done as to whether he's at risk, his lawyer Karianne Bal said to NU.nl.
F.'s release is linked to a number of conditions. If he does not hold to these conditions, he will be taken back into custody, according to the newspaper.
The charges against 22-year-old Jimmy F. from Zevenbergen, who is in custody in connection with a terrorist threat in Rotterdam, were scaled down to only incitement. The Public Prosecutor still suspects him of involvement in terrorism, but the magistrate found that there is too little evidence for this charge, NOS reports.
A 22-year-old man fro Zevenbergen that was arrested last week for involvement in a terrorist threat in Rotterdam, did not commit any crimes, his lawyer Karianne Bal said to newspaper AD. According to her, Jimmy F. had good intentions and was trying to unmask terrorists.
"He thought he was talking to an ISIS sympathizer", Bal said about a chat conversation that is believed to have led to his arrest. "I am convinced that he is not guilty of any criminal offense."
The Public Prosecutor officially suspects Jimmy F. of involvement in terrorism, a spokesperson confirmed to NU.nl. The 22-year-old man was arrested for threatening to commit a terrorist attack on the Maassilo in Rotterdam last week. The court in Rotterdam remanded him into custody for two weeks on Wednesday morning, according to Omroep Brabant.
The Public Prosecutor spokesperson would say nothing more about the charges against F.
The municipality of Rotterdam is taking extra measures to better protect the city against terrorist attacks, the city announced on Wednesday. One of these measures includes placing obstacles to prevent vehicles driving into parts of the city where many pedestrians gather. These extra measures are in line with the current threat level in the Netherlands. "There is currently no concrete information about an attack", the municipality emphasized, AD reports.
Ambulance workers in the Netherlands are concerned about not being prepared to deal with a terrorist attack, unions FNV and CNV Ambulance Care said to BNR. According to the unions, there are still no protocols in place to ensure the safety of ambulance workers while responding to an attack.
The municipality of Zundert is taking extra measures to protect its flower parade this year, including placing concrete blocks on access roads. The flower parade is taking place this weekend, Omroep Brabant reports.
"Maybe a hundred thousand people from home and abroad are coming to watch the flower parade this weekend", a spokesperson for the municipality said to the broadcaster. "At such a big event, it is important that you as municipality look at safety." According to the spokesperson, a number of visible and invisible measures are being taken.
The Public Prosecutor wants to keep the 22-year-old man suspected of involvement in a terrorist threat in Rotterdam in custody. The young man will be arraigned before the end of the day, NOS reports.
A 22-year-old man arrested in Zevenbergen, Noord-Brabant early on Thursday morning, posted a threat in which he promised an attack during a concert by American band Allah-Las in Rotterdam's Maassilo on Wednesday night, Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice confirmed to BNR, calling it an"idiotic action".
The police arrested a 22-year-old man in Noord-Brabant during the early hours of Thursday morning in connection with a terrorist threat in Rotterdam on Wednesday evening. In a statement the police said a Special Interventions team entered the man's home around 2:00 a.m., arrested him and searched the home carefully.
A concert by American band Allah-Las in the Maassilo in Rotterdam on Wednesday night, was canceled after the Spanish police tipped the Dutch authorities off about a potential terrorist threat. A few hundred meters from the Maassilo, the Rotterdam police pulled over a van with Spanish license plates and found gas bottles inside. The driver was arrested, RTL Nieuws reports.
Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice is revoking the Dutch citizenship of a convicted jihadist for the first time. This possibility already existed in Dutch law, but this is the first time it is being used, NOS reports.
On Tuesday website GeenStijl published a screenshot of the online police system showing the name and ethnicity of a driver that crashed into a group of pedestrians at Amsterdam Central Station in June. The Amsterdam police is shocked by this leak. They believe that a police officer must have sent the information to the controversial news site and promise to get to the bottom of it, the Volkskrant reports.
There is no reason to increase the terrorism threat level in the Netherlands following two terrorist attacks in Spain, National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security Dick Schoof said on Friday. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sees no reason to adjust the travel advice for Spain, Minister Bert Koenders said to the council of Ministers.
The terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils on Thursday and Friday emphasize the need to hurry with the government formation, VVD leader Halbe Zijlstra said at the start of the formation talks on Friday morning. "A country without a government is really something you should not have for too long, certainly not in this time", he said to newspaper AD.
Zijlstra called the attacks terrible.