Murder and manslaughter cases in the Netherlands rose a combined total of 5.6 percent, compared to last year. The figures, calculated up through December 28 by crime journalist Eric Slot, show that 113 people died in 104 separate criminal incidents.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht in March, did not appear in court for a proforma hearing in his case on Monday, despite a court order that he attend. A lot of violence would have been needed to get him to the courtroom, the court said. "It is not up to the suspect to dictate whether he appears or not, but under these circumstances the court refrains from forcing him to be present," the court president said, according to broadcaster NOS.
Football was clearly on people's minds in the Netherlands this year. "Ajax" and "WK Voetbal Vrouwen", or the Women's Football World Cup in English, were the most googled search terms in the country in 2019, Google announced in its Trend Reports on Wednesday.
Utrecht is creating a permanent memorial garden on 24 Oktoberplein to commemorate the victims who died there in a mass shooting on March 18th, the city announced on Tuesday.
According to the municipality, residents of the city started expressing their wish for a permanent place of remembrance shortly after the shooting. "To show sympathy and commemorate the victims in an appropriate way." The municipality hopes that this garden will fill that need.
After a mass shooting in a tram in Utrecht on March 18th, the police responded quickly and effectively and acted according to prepared plans and protocols, according to an evaluation by an internal committee on the handling of the shooting. While the committee largely praised the police's actions, it concluded that there is room for improvement - especially when it comes to information exchange during crisis communication.
The investigation into a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht and suspect Gokmen T. is almost complete. The police and judiciary have almost a complete picture of what happened before, during and after the attack in March this year, the Public Prosecutor said during a proforma hearing in this case on Monday, AD reports.
T. was not present at the hearing. He is also refusing legal representation, was revealed in the hearing.
Rene Verschuur, who lost his 19-year-old daughter Roos in a mass shooting on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht in March, is furious that suspect Gokmen T. is refusing to attend the next pro-forma hearing in the case against him, scheduled for Monday. In an open letter published by newspaper AD, Verschuur repeatedly called T. a coward for refusing to appear in court and account for his cowardly deeds.
Gokmen T. again confessed to being responsible for a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht and killing four people during the first pro-forma hearing in the case against him on Monday. He also denounced the Dutch legal system. "I don't recognize your laws, I don't recognize your judges", he said in the court in Utrecht on Monday morning, according to AD reporter Yelle Tieleman, tweeting live from the courtroom.
Gokmen T., the man suspected of killing four people and hurting multiple others in a mass shooting in Utrecht in March, must attend the next pro-forma hearing in the case against him, the court in Midden-Nederland ordered.
T. previously stated in writing that he did not want to be present, but the court "considers it important to be able to speak to the suspect during this hearing about the progress of his criminal case", the court said, NU.nl reports.
The next hearing in this case is scheduled for Monday, July 1st.
There is a very real concern in the Netherlands regarding potential terror attacks, particularly from ISIS recruits and jihadists, right-wing extremists, and radical activists, according to Dutch counter-terror office NCTV. Because of this, the terror threat level in the country remains high, with holding at 4 out of a maximum of 5 in the terrorism threat assessment published by the NCTV on Monday.
A Forensic Investigation van was broken into during a police reconstruction of a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht in March, the Midden-Nederland police confirmed. The thieves got away with a police jacket and police bag, AD reports.
The reconstruction of the mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in March happened on Sunday. The area around the square was cordoned off during the reconstruction. How the thieves managed to sneak past all the present authorities, is not clear.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting in Utrecht on March 18th, assaulted a prison employee a few weeks before the attack on 24 Oktoberplein, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said in a letter to the Tweede Kamer, the Volkskrant reports.
One victim who was seriously injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last month, is still in hospital, Utrecht mayor Jan van Zanen said in a letter to the city council. The victim's current condition is unknown, NU.nl reports.
The municipality of Utrecht will plant perennials with red and white flowers, the colors of the Utrecht flag, at the memorial site for a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The thousands of flowers, letters and stuffed animals currently at the site will be removed on Tuesday, NU.nl reports.
A 74-year-old man has died from injuries sustained at a mass shooting in Utrecht earlier this month. The unnamed victim, from De Meern in Utrecht province, died on Thursday, according to the Public Prosecutor's office (OM).
So far the police received 850 tips regarding a mass shooting in Utrecht last week Monday, a police spokesperson said on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday. Due to the high number of tips, the police have not yet been able to make personal contact with every caller, but they will, the spokesperson said.
A 21-year-old woman from Nieuwegein who was injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last week, was discharged from the hospital on Monday. She will continue her recovery at home, her lawyer said on Tuesday, NU.nl reports.
"She thanks everyone for the support she's receiving, in whatever form", the lawyer said. He called on the press to leave the young woman alone and respect her privacy.
The victims of a mass shooting in Utrecht on Monday were commemorated with a silent march in the city on Friday. The 16 thousand attendees included Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security, Mayor of Amsterdam Femke Halsema, Den Haag mayor Pauline Krikken, and Rotterdam's Deputy Mayor Bert Wijbenga.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.
A 27-year-old man that was held for a time in connection with a fatal shooting on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, says that people still see him as an attacker - even though the police released him because he wasn't involved in the attack. "On social media I have been called a traitor, and on the street I am addressed as a terrorist", he said to newspaper AD.
A group of Utrecht residents are organizing a silent march for the victims of a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The march will start at 7:00 p.m. on Friday on Jaarbeursplein, from where participants will walk to the scene of the attack, NU.nl reports.
"We want do do this for Utrecht", one of the organizers said to DUIC. "We want to show that we will not be knocked apart. And that we are actually getting closer together and supporting each other in this time."
The police found no indications that suspected gunman Gokmen T. received help from other people in the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. He acted alone with terrorist intent, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Thursday.
Voter turnout was up substantially in the country's provincial election on Wednesday, compared with turnout in 2015. Some 57.9 percent of eligible voters showed up at polling places, up from 47.8 percent four years earlier, according to RTL Nieuws.