Police received 850 tips on Utrecht mass shooting

Police at the scene of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht, 18 March 2019
Police at the scene of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht, 18 March 2019. (Photo: Politie)

So far the police received 850 tips regarding a mass shooting in Utrecht last week Monday, a police spokesperson said on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday. Due to the high number of tips, the police have not yet been able to make personal contact with every caller, but they will, the spokesperson said.

The police called for information about the shooting on Opsporing Verzocht last week. Investigators are also looking for camera footage that can be used to reconstruct the flight route suspected gunman Gokmen T. used after the shooting. 

On Monday last week 37-year-old Gokmen T. opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein. Three people were killed and five injured. He was arrested on Monday evening after an hours long manhunt. On Friday the Public Prosecutor announced that he confessed to committing the attack and that he acted alone. He was remanded into custody for two weeks that same day. 

A 21-year-old woman from Nieuwegein, one of those hurt in the shooting, was discharged from hospital on Monday, a week after the attack. "She thanks everyone for the support she's receiving, in whatever form", her lawyer said. He called on the press to leave the young woman alone and respect her privacy. The condition of the other victims is unknown. 

Tags: