Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht in March, did not appear in court for a proforma hearing in his case on Monday, despite a court order that he attend. A lot of violence would have been needed to get him to the courtroom, the court said. "It is not up to the suspect to dictate whether he appears or not, but under these circumstances the court refrains from forcing him to be present," the court president said, according to broadcaster NOS.
The parents of a 20-year-old man arrested on Monday on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack in the Netherlands, is shocked by the accusations against their son. "We never expected this. If it is true, we strongly reject it. But we hope it's not true", the parents said to newspaper AD.
Two men were arrested in the Netherlands on Monday, accused of preparing to carry out a terrorist attack using at least one car bomb and bomb vests, the Public Prosecution Service (OM) revealed on Tuesday. The suspects were allegedly plotting to carry out an attack in the Netherlands by the end of the year.
Jawed S., a 20-year-old man who stabbed two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station last year, was sentenced to 26 years in prison by the court in Amsterdam on Monday. He was convicted to two counts of attempted murder with terrorist intent, and three counts of threatening a police officer, NOS reports.
The investigation into a mass shooting on a tram in Utrecht and suspect Gokmen T. is almost complete. The police and judiciary have almost a complete picture of what happened before, during and after the attack in March this year, the Public Prosecutor said during a proforma hearing in this case on Monday, AD reports.
T. was not present at the hearing. He is also refusing legal representation, was revealed in the hearing.
Rene Verschuur, who lost his 19-year-old daughter Roos in a mass shooting on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht in March, is furious that suspect Gokmen T. is refusing to attend the next pro-forma hearing in the case against him, scheduled for Monday. In an open letter published by newspaper AD, Verschuur repeatedly called T. a coward for refusing to appear in court and account for his cowardly deeds.
Prosecutors in the Netherlands called on judges in an Amsterdam courtroom to convict Jawed S. in the stabbings of two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station. The prosecution service argued that the act was a premeditated attempt to murder, with terrorist purposes, justifying a maximum allowable prison sentence of 25 years.
Jawed S., the 20-year-old Afghan man who stabbed two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station last year, came to the Netherlands to "kill unfair and cruel people", he said during the first day of his trial at the high security court in Amsterdam on Monday. "That was the intention with which I came to the Netherlands to protect my prophet. You gave the pig the space to express himself like that", S.
The trial against Jawed S., the man suspected of stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station on August 31st last year, starts in the high security court in Amsterdam on Monday. The two victims will be present at the trial. The three police officers who stopped S.'s attack and arrested him will also speak in the trial, with their identities hidden for security reasons, RTL Nieuws and Nieuwsuur report.
A total of 112 terrorist attacks were committed in Western countries over the past 15 years. Three quarters of these happened in the last five years, a strong increase related to the rise of terrorist organization Islamic State since 2014, according to an analysis by Dutch intelligence and security service AIVD. The number of attacks decreased again since the fall of Islamic State, NOS reports.
Gokmen T., the suspected gunman in a mass shooting in Utrecht on March 18th, assaulted a prison employee a few weeks before the attack on 24 Oktoberplein, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said in a letter to the Tweede Kamer, the Volkskrant reports.
Around 50 people gathered in the center of Amsterdam on Tuesday evening to commemorate the victims killed in attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. Speeches were held and flowers were left on Dam Square. The Sri Lankan flag was also projected onto the facade of Amsterdam Central Station, NOS reports.
Monique Allen, 54, was one of 310 people killed in terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. "She was the best wife, the best mother", her husband Lewis Allen said to BBC.
Another two Dutch people were identified on Monday as victims of attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday. That brings the total number of Dutch victims killed to three, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported.
The 48-year-old woman and 12-year-old girl, believed to be mother and daughter, died in a suicide bombing at the Cinnamon Grand Hotel in Colombo - the same bombing in which the other Dutch victim,a 54-year-old woman, was killed, NU.nl reports.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima are shocked by seemingly coordinated attacks in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, they said in a released statement. A total of 290 people were killed. Among them were at least 35 foreign tourists, including at least one woman from the Netherlands, a spokesperson for the local police said on Monday morning, AD reports.
One victim who was seriously injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last month, is still in hospital, Utrecht mayor Jan van Zanen said in a letter to the city council. The victim's current condition is unknown, NU.nl reports.
The municipality of Utrecht will plant perennials with red and white flowers, the colors of the Utrecht flag, at the memorial site for a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The thousands of flowers, letters and stuffed animals currently at the site will be removed on Tuesday, NU.nl reports.
Dutch intelligence service AIVD warns of radical influences in education in its annual report for 2018. According to the service, "radical Islamic boosters" play an increasingly emphatic role in the education offer for young Muslims in the Netherlands. In the long term, this could undermine the democratic legal order, the AIVD said, NOS reports.
So far the police received 850 tips regarding a mass shooting in Utrecht last week Monday, a police spokesperson said on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday. Due to the high number of tips, the police have not yet been able to make personal contact with every caller, but they will, the spokesperson said.
A 21-year-old woman from Nieuwegein who was injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last week, was discharged from the hospital on Monday. She will continue her recovery at home, her lawyer said on Tuesday, NU.nl reports.
"She thanks everyone for the support she's receiving, in whatever form", the lawyer said. He called on the press to leave the young woman alone and respect her privacy.
The victims of a mass shooting in Utrecht on Monday were commemorated with a silent march in the city on Friday. The 16 thousand attendees included Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security, Mayor of Amsterdam Femke Halsema, Den Haag mayor Pauline Krikken, and Rotterdam's Deputy Mayor Bert Wijbenga.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.