Ferry Zandvliet from Rotterdam, who survived a terrorist attack during an Eagles of Death Metal concert in Bataclan in Paris two years ago, will be attending the trial against suspected terrorist Salah Abdeslam in Brussels on Monday. "I want to look that boy in the eyes", he said, according to newspaper AD.
The D66 wants to follow the American example in appointing two 'designated survivors' for events and meetings where all Dutch politicians and the King and Queen come together, like Budget Day. This would involve appointing a Minister and parliamentarian to stay in a secret, secure location during such an event, so that they can take power should it happen that all other government leaders are killed or seriously injured in a terrorist attack or other disaster, NOS reports
The municipality of Amsterdam, along with emergency services in the city and the Ministry of Defense, will be holding large anti-terrorism training drills in the city on November 8th and 9th. The aim of these exercises is to make sure all involved parties can work properly together should there be an attack in the Dutch capital, Het Parool reports.
Suspected jihadist Laura H. told the Rotterdam court on Thursday that her husband Ibrahim wanted to commit an attack preferably in the Netherlands, or in another European country. She insists that she did not know what she was doing when she left for Syria in 2015, ANP reports.
One of the suspects arrested in connection with a terrorist attack on the Parsons Green tube station in London on Friday, has family living in Noord-Brabant, according to Arabic journalist Jenan Moussa, who spoke with the family. She posted their conversation on Twitter.
The suspect in question is 21-year-old Yahyah Farroukh, AD reports. He was arrested on Saturday night, after a homemade bomb went off on Parsons Green on Friday, injuring 29 people. A second arrested suspect, an 18-year-old Iraqi boy, lived in the same foster home as Farroukh in the United Kingdom.
The Hague is putting extra security measures in place for Budget Day next week, paying particular attention to preventing terrorist attacks with vehicles, a spokesperson for the municipality confirmed to NU.nl.
A 22-year-old man from Zevenbergen arrested in August in connection with a terrorism threat in Rotterdam, must be released from custody, the court in Rotterdam ruled on Wednesday. Jimmy F. will be released on Monday, because further investigation must be done as to whether he's at risk, his lawyer Karianne Bal said to NU.nl.
F.'s release is linked to a number of conditions. If he does not hold to these conditions, he will be taken back into custody, according to the newspaper.
The charges against 22-year-old Jimmy F. from Zevenbergen, who is in custody in connection with a terrorist threat in Rotterdam, were scaled down to only incitement. The Public Prosecutor still suspects him of involvement in terrorism, but the magistrate found that there is too little evidence for this charge, NOS reports.
The Public Prosecutor officially suspects Jimmy F. of involvement in terrorism, a spokesperson confirmed to NU.nl. The 22-year-old man was arrested for threatening to commit a terrorist attack on the Maassilo in Rotterdam last week. The court in Rotterdam remanded him into custody for two weeks on Wednesday morning, according to Omroep Brabant.
The Public Prosecutor spokesperson would say nothing more about the charges against F.
The municipality of Rotterdam is taking extra measures to better protect the city against terrorist attacks, the city announced on Wednesday. One of these measures includes placing obstacles to prevent vehicles driving into parts of the city where many pedestrians gather. These extra measures are in line with the current threat level in the Netherlands. "There is currently no concrete information about an attack", the municipality emphasized, AD reports.
Ambulance workers in the Netherlands are concerned about not being prepared to deal with a terrorist attack, unions FNV and CNV Ambulance Care said to BNR. According to the unions, there are still no protocols in place to ensure the safety of ambulance workers while responding to an attack.
A 22-year-old man arrested in Zevenbergen, Noord-Brabant early on Thursday morning, posted a threat in which he promised an attack during a concert by American band Allah-Las in Rotterdam's Maassilo on Wednesday night, Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice confirmed to BNR, calling it an"idiotic action".
There is no reason to increase the terrorism threat level in the Netherlands following two terrorist attacks in Spain, National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security Dick Schoof said on Friday. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sees no reason to adjust the travel advice for Spain, Minister Bert Koenders said to the council of Ministers.
The terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils on Thursday and Friday emphasize the need to hurry with the government formation, VVD leader Halbe Zijlstra said at the start of the formation talks on Friday morning. "A country without a government is really something you should not have for too long, certainly not in this time", he said to newspaper AD.
Zijlstra called the attacks terrible.
A 16-year-old girl from Ommen broke both her legs in a terrorist attack in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon. A van crashed into a crowd of people on the Rambla, killing 13 people and injuring over 100, including three Dutch. The other two Dutch victims are also from Ommen, RTV Oost reports.
The PVV wants the Tweede Kamer to cut its summer recess short and return for a parliamentary debate on the terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, PVV leader Geert Wilders said in a message to the other party leaders, which he also posted on Twitter.
Spain was hit by two terrorist attacks. The first in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon, the second in Cambrils during the early hours of Friday morning. Thirteen people were killed and over 100 others were injured, including three Dutch, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed. Their condition is not life threatening, NOS reports.
The attack in Barcelona happened around 5:00 p.m. A van drove onto the Ramblas, crashing into dozens of people. Thirteen people were killed and over 100 ended up in hospital, including the three Dutch. The perpetrators fled.
Terrorist group ISIS called for a terrorist attack during the European Women's Championship football match in Galgenwaard Stadium in Utrecht on July 19th. The call was placed on a pro-ISIS telegram channel according to RTL Nieuws.
England and Scotland will be playing in the affected match.
No trains will be stopping at Brussels Central Station today following a small explosion there on Tuesday night, NS International said on its website. The explosion happened around 8:30 p.m. The Belgian authorities had control of the situation very quickly and no one bystanders were injured. The suspected perpetrator was gunned down by soldiers almost immediately after the explosion, ANP reports.
Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs condemned the "horrible attack" on at a mosque in London last night in a statement on Twitter. One person was killed and ten others injured when a delivery van crashed into people leaving a mosque in Finsbury Park, NU.nl reports.
"Horrible attack on mosque attendees in London. I empathize with the victims. Offered condolences to colleague Johnson", Koenders said on his Ministry's Twitter feed.
Some 70 percent of adult Dutch are worried about a terrorist attack being committed in the Netherlands, according to a study published by Statistics Netherlands on Monday. Four in ten Dutch think there is a good chance of an attack in the Netherlands and 16 percent worry about an attack on a regular basis.
Despite these concerns, only 4 percent think it likely that they themselves will be the victim of an attack.
Two people were killed when an unknown number of gunmen attacked a luxury resort in the African country of Mali on Sunday. Six Dutch were present during the attack, but escaped unharmed, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed, ANP reports.
The holiday resort Le Campement de Kangaba is popular among Western tourists and expats. The one victim that was killed had French-Gabon nationality, the other came from Angola, according to the Volkskrant. Four people were injured, and 36 others could be rescued unharmed, including the six Dutch.
The terrorism threat level in the Netherlands remains high at level 4 out of 5 after a terrorist attack in London on Sunday, National Coordinator Dick Schoof of Counterterrorism and Security said on Sunday. Seven people were killed and 48 others injured when three perpetrators crashed a delivery van into pedestrians on London Bridge and then got out and stabbed people on the street and in nearby pubs at around 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, NU.nl reports
Both Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Foreign Affairs Minister Bert Koenders spoke out against a massive bombing in the Afghan capital of Kabul this morning that left at least 80 people dead and an estimated 364 people wounded. The attack was committed with a tanker during morning rush hour, in an area that houses many embassies and ministries, AD reports.
"Terrible attack in Kabul. A number of international partners also hit hard. Our thoughts go out to all the victims", Rutte said on Twitter.