The Covid-19 disease was already being transmitted among health care workers in Noord-Brabant from as early as Feb. 19, new research reveals—indicating that transmission was occurring over a week before the first case was officially recorded in the Netherlands late last month.
Of the first 100 patients admitted to the Elisabeth TweeSteden hospital in Tilburg with the coronavirus, 20 have died, doctor, microbiologist and virologist Jean-Luc Murk, who works at the hospital, said on television program Jinek. The average age of the admitted patients was 72 years and 67 percent were male, Murk said, ANP reports.
The Dutch association for intensive care units NVIC is expecting between 500 and a thousand new Covid-19 patients next week. In order to prepare, patients currently treated in ICUs in Noord-Brabant will be moved to hospitals in less affected areas, the association said in a statement.
On Wednesday evening, the NVIC reported that 177 coronavirus patients were being treated in ICU. The association did not give a reason for the expected spike.
The peak of the first wave of coronavirus infections in Noord-Brabant has just past, and the second wave is already beginning, according to Bart Berden, chairman of the board of the Elisabeth TweeSteden hospital in Tilburg and chairman of the regional consultative committee on acute care ROAZ in Noord-Brabant. And this wave will spread across the entire Netherlands, he said to the Volkskrant.
As many as 100 people have been tested in the Netherlands for the Covid-19 strain of coronavirus, Dutch health authority RIVM told Parool. Among them are the husband and three children of an Amsterdam woman who tested positive for the virus on Friday, one of whom required a second test to rule out a possible false positive.
The Noord-Brabant man being treated for Covid-19 in the Elisabeth-TweeSteden hospital in Tilburg is doing well, Tilburg mayor Theo Weterings said in a press conference on Friday. The mayor also confirmed that the man celebrated carnival in his hometown, but said that he was not yet contagious when this happened, NOS and NU.nl report.
The health authorities are considering discharging the man, so that he can be quarantined in the comfort of his own home in Loon op Zand, Weterings said.
A 56-year-old man officially diagnosed with coronavirus Covid-19 in Tilburg on Thursday, is doing well under the circumstances, Tilburg mayor Theo Weterings said on television program Jinek. He is being treated n the Elisabeth-TweeSteden hospital in Tilburg, which will remain open and operational as usual.
A Dutch person who traveled to the Lombardy region of Italy is the first in the Netherlands to have tested positive for the Covid-19 coronavirus strain, Dutch health agency RIVM announced Thursday evening. The man, which BD reported as a 56-year-old from Loon op Zand, Noord-Brabant, was placed in quarantine, authorities confirmed.