Mitch Henriquez did not die as a result of a chokehold used on him when he was arrested in Zuiderpark in The Hague in June 2015, the Public Prosecutor said in court on Monday. The two police officers charged with the Aruban man's death should therefore be acquitted of manslaughter and death through negligence. Henriquez' arrest was justified, but too much violence was used. The two police officers are therefore guilty of abuse, the Prosecutor said. No punishment was demanded against them, AD reports.
A 23-year-old woman was arrested in Tilburg just after midnight on Wednesday for assaulting a police officer. The Tilburg woman tried to prevent the arrest of her boyfriend by putting the officer in a chokehold and trying to poke her fingers into his eyes, the police said in a statement.
The identities of the five police officers involved in the death in custody of 42-year-old Mitch Henriquez, will not be disclosed to the Aruban man's relatives, the appeals court in The Hague ruled. This same request was also rejected by a court in March, NU.nl reports.
On Thursday the court in The Hague ordered a new investigation into the cause of Mitch Henriquez' death in police custody in 2015. The two current reports on how the 42-year-old Aruban man died in 2015 are so different that the court feels a third opinion is necessary, RTL Nieuws reports.
Three of five police officers involved in an arrest which ended with the death of 42-year-old Aruban man Mitch Henriquez in 2015, will not be prosecuted, the court in The Hague ruled on Thursday. Lawyers representing Henriquez' family filed an Article 12 procedure to try and force judiciary to prosecute all five cops, AD reports.
Relatives of Mitch Henriquez are very unhappy about a new report by a forensic doctor on behalf of two police officers being prosecuted for Henriquez death. The report, published on Monday, states that Henriquez very likely died from cardiac arrest, and not due to a chokehold used on him during his arrest.
According to a report by a forensic doctor, 42-year-old Mitch Henriquez most likely died due to heart failure or cardiac arrhythmias and not a crushed larynx caused by a chokehold used on him during his arrest in The Hague nearly two years ago. The forensic doctor was called in by the lawyers of the two police officers being prosecuted for his death, NU.nl reports.
The widow of a 35-year-old Macedonian man, who died during an arrest in Maastricht on December 20th, is suing the police. She is accusing the police of murder or manslaughter, her lawyer Hakan Kulcu confirmed to newspaper AD.
A failed asylum seeker died shortly after being arrested by the police in Maastricht on Tuesday. Limburg Police Chief Gery Veldhuis mentioned a chokehold and possible strangulation in a statement on Tuesday night, but denied that the police would do that, the Volkskrant reports.
The 35-year-old Macedonian man recently came to the Netherlands. On Monday the immigration police informed him that his asylum application was rejected and that he had to leave the European Union within 28 days, according to the newspaper.
Mitch Henriquez' family is angry and disappointed by the "light" punishments given to the police officers who were involved in his death, cousin Alex Dijhoff said to newspaper AD. The family's lawyer called it a "shame".
Two police officers were put on probation as punishment for their involvement in the fatal arrest of Mitch Henriquez in The Hague last year, police chief Paul Musscher announced in a press conference on Thursday.
The two police officers will be permanently dismissed if they do anything wrong for one year. They are also not allowed to use any means of violence on the street in that time. The police chief also stressed that the officers did not deliberately try to take the life of Henriquez.
The Hague department of the National Police finished the investigation into five officers involved in the fatal arrest of Mitch Henriquez in Zuiderpark last year. The investigators concluded that four are guilty of serious dereliction of duty, the fifth of dereliction of duty
Police chef Gerard Bouman promised the five police officers involved in Mitch Henriquez' death in custody that they will not loose their jobs, NRC reports based on confidential correspondence in its possession.
Two of the five police officers suspected of involvement in Mitch Henriquez death in custody will be criminally prosecuted, the Public Prosecutor informed Henriquez' family and the suspected officers on Monday
Five police officers made "error after error" in the arrest of Mitch Henriquez in The Hague last year, according to two police scientists who investigated the event. Henriquez died a day after being arrested at a music festival in June 2015. His death caused days of rioting in Schilderswijk and weeks of general unrest in The Hague.
Police officers may continue using chokeholds during arrests, the Inspectorate for Security and Justice determined in their investigation into the controversial move
Mitch Henriquez' family want an independent investigation into his death in police custody. The 42 year old Aruban man passed away last year after a police officer used a chokehold on him during his arrest.
The Rijksrecherche, the department that handles internal police investigations, has finished their investigation into the death of Aruban man Mitch Henriquez. According to the lawyer representing the Aruban man's family, the report indicates that Henriquez was "enormously abused".
The Public Prosecutor has demanded an 18 month prison sentence, eight of which conditionally suspended, against Micheal van der K. for his involvement in the Schilderswijk riots early in Junes. His case is one of the last to appear in court in a series of trials related to the riots.
A 33 year old mother from Zwolle was sentenced to 60 hours of community service on Thursday for grabbing a teacher by the throat and choking her earlier this year.
Activist Frank van der Linde has filed a lawsuit against the Ministry of Security and Justice demanding that police officers immediately stop using the chokehold technique.
A former police officer has given a statement in the investigation into the suspected choke hold death of Wensly Udenhout in 2013. According to the former officer, the cop who used the choke hold on Udenhout - a dog handler - knew that the Surinamese man was killed by his actions from the start.