One victim of Utrecht mass shooting still in hospital

Flowers and candles left at the scene of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on 18 March 2019
Flowers and candles left at the scene of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on 18 March 2019. (Photo: Gemeente Utrecht/Twitter)

One victim who was seriously injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last month, is still in hospital, Utrecht mayor Jan van Zanen said in a letter to the city council. The victim's current condition is unknown, reports.

Suspected gunman Gokmen T. confessed that he opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on March 15th. Three people were killed on the day, and various people were injured, three of whom seriously. One of the victims succumbed to his injuries on March 28th. Another was discharged from hospital to continue her recovery at home a week after the shooting. And the third seriously injured victim is still in hospital, according to the mayor.

In his letter to the city council, Van Zanen looked back on the incident and said that the city is now in the "post-phase" of the attack, according to the newspaper. "In the past few weeks, suggestions have been made from various sides to permanently commemorate the victims at the scene of the shooting incident or elsewhere in the city. The municipality will carefully examine these suggestions", the mayor said. The wishes of the victims and their relatives will play a leading role in this. 

The municipality previously announced that red and white flowers, the colors of the Utrecht flag, will be planted at the scene of the attack.

In the short term, the municipality's focus will remain on giving the surviving victims and relatives rest and aftercare, Van Zanen said. The mayor also commissioned a so-called learning evaluation for the authorities. This investigation will focus on the cooperation between the various parties involved, the decision making, communication, social impact and the transition into the aftermath phase.

T. is facing charges of murder or manslaughter with terrorist intent, attempts thereto, and threats with terrorist intent. The Public Prosecutor previously announced that the investigation into the attack will likely take months.