Jos B., the 56-year-old man suspected of sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in Brunssummerheide in 1998, denies having anything to do with the child's death. He did confess to viewing child pornography, but said in court on Wednesday that he downloaded it accidentally, the Telegraaf reports.
On Monday the court sentenced 40-year-old Toon N. to 12 years in prison for shooting and killing Yassine Majiti in the parking lot of Beachclub Sunrise in Best last year. The Public Prosecutor demanded 16 years in prison against the man, the Telegraaf reports.
The shooting happened during a salsa party early on the morning of November 6th, 2017. There were several disturbances between the groups of men that the victim and suspect belonged to. The fight spilled over into the parking lot, where Majiti was shot in the head at close range.
The charges against Jos B., the man suspected of involvement in the death of Nicky Verstappen in 1998, was lessened by the court in Limburg. B. is no longer facing a murder charge, but manslaughter, sources confirmed to De Limburger.
Jos de G. was sentenced on appeal to 12 years in prison for raping and killing 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. The court in Den Bosch convicted him of rape and manslaughter on Tuesday. When this case was first tried two years ago, De G.
For the first time in five years, the number of people killed by murder or manslaughter in the Netherlands increased. Last year 158 people were killed in a crime, 50 more than in 2016, according to figures Statistics Netherlands released on Thursday.
Former drug baron 73-year-old Kobus L. was arrested in a home in Roosendaal on Wednesday. The Rotterdam man was on the run after he was convicted of manslaughter in July for killing his son-in-law four years ago. L. is now in custody, the Public Prosecutor confirmed to NU.nl.
L. has to serve 12 years in prison for his son-in-law's death.
A woman found dead in a ditch in Leiden two weeks ago was identified as a 44-year-old woman from Epe. She had been missing for some time, the Public Prosecutor said on Tuesday. She was identified based on a DNA investigation, the Prosecutor said.
The court in Utrecht sentenced a 17-year-old boy from Den Bosch to two years of juvenile detention and juvenile institutionalized psychiatric treatment for killing 14-year-old Savannah Dekker in Bunschoten last year. The boy was convicted of manslaughter on Friday. He was given the maximum penalty possible for a perpetrator his age under Dutch juvenile law, NOS reports.
Marcel S. was sentenced to 12 years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for the death of his 10-year-old son Diego. The court in Rotterdam considered it proven that the 39-year-old man strangled his son to death in anger after his wife left him and convicted him of manslaughter, ANP reports.
Helene J. was acquitted of manslaughter in the death of her 8-year-old daughter Sharleyne Remouchamps. There is not enough evidence to prove that the 38-year-old woman was responsible for her daughter's death, the court in Assen ruled on Monday, NU.nl reports.
The mother standing trial for the murder or manslaughter of her 8-year-old daughter Sharleyne in Hoogeveen in 2015, claims she can't remember anything after she saw her daughter's body lying outside their apartment building over the balustrade of their 10th floor home. "From then on it's black", she said in court on Wednesday, NU.nl reports.
The court wanted Helene J. to explain exactly what happened on the night of June 7th and early morning of June 8th, when the girl died. But J. said she can't remember anything due to the panic after seeing her daughter's body.
A 20-year-old man from Glimmen, Groningen, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing his 23-year-old girlfriend and her 6-year-old daughter from a previous relationship in Haren last year, NOS reports.
In October last year the man strangled his girlfriend with a telephone cord and then cut her throat. He then suffocated the 6-year-old girl with a piece of clothing.
Michael P., the man suspected of raping and killing Anne Faber, will also be prosecuted for assaulting three employees of the Pieter Baan Center. The assaults happened in February, NU.nl reports.
P. was admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for a mental health assessment. One morning in February, he assaulted one employee. That evening he attacked two others.
On Tuesday the court sentenced Freddy D. to 10 years in prison and institutionalized psychiatric treatment for killing his 12-year-old stepdaughter Djamila Marissen from Hoogeveen last year, NU.nl reports.
According to the court, D. killed Djamila to prevent being caught sexually abusing her. He was convicted of manslaughter and child sex abuse.
The number of registered crimes in the Netherlands decreased again last year and is now back at the level of 1980, Statistics Netherlands reported on Monday. Crime in the Netherlands increased steadily at the start of this century, but decreased considerably over the past few years. Last year 49 crimes were registered per 1,000 inhabitants, compared to 93 per 1,000 inhabitants in 2001 and 2002, NOS reports.
The Amsterdam mayor, police and Public Prosecutor are concerned about a seeming shift towards more invisible forms of crime in the Dutch the capital, they said in a report on Monday. With "invisible" crimes they refer to actions that are criminal in nature, but are socially embedded in neighborhoods and often out of the control and sight of the government, ANP reports.
A large proportion of this invisible crime has to do with conflicts in the drug world, according to the Amsterdam triangle. These crimes lead to arms trade, money laundering and assassinations.
Arnhem man Andreas W. was sentenced to 20 years in prison by a Belgian court for robbing and killing 41-year-old Stefaan Bekeart in his home in Menen early in 2014. The 54-year-old Dutch man was convicted of manslaughter. His ex-partner, 44-year-old Adriana K. from Arnhem, was acquitted, De Gelderlander reports.
For the first time in years, the number of murders and manslaughters increased in the Netherlands. So far this year, 159 people were killed by someone else, a massive 48 more than in 2016, according to figures from Moordatlas.nl, AD reports.
On Wednesday the court in Leeuwarden acquitted 40-year-old Cafer G. on appeal. G. was perviously convicted for killing 45-year-old Michael de Vrieze from Burum in 2010. His body was never found. The Leeuwarden court ruled that there is not enough evidence to prove murder, ANP reports.
De Vrieze disappeared from his Groningen home in 2010. The police eventually concluded that he had been murdered there, according to the news wire. G. was also staying in the home at the time. And blood from the victim was later found in the home.
Rotterdam police chief Frank Paauw is very concerned about the increasing number of incidents involving mentally disturbed people. This year the Rotterdam police dealt with 8,200 such incidents, compared to 7 thousand in 2016. "Disturbed people kill more people than terrorism", Paauw said during a press conference about the Rotterdam Police's year, NU.nl reports.
On Tuesday the police arrested two 15-year-old boys for stabbing 15-year-old Shakil to death in Almere. Shakil's murder was the fifth deadly incident in the Netherlands this year in which the suspects are 16 years old or younger.
Mitch Henriquez did not die as a result of a chokehold used on him when he was arrested in Zuiderpark in The Hague in June 2015, the Public Prosecutor said in court on Monday. The two police officers charged with the Aruban man's death should therefore be acquitted of manslaughter and death through negligence. Henriquez' arrest was justified, but too much violence was used. The two police officers are therefore guilty of abuse, the Prosecutor said.
A suspect was arrested at the airport of Medellin in Colombia in connection with the execution of two Dutch persons in the Dominican Republic. Their bodies were found on a sugar cane plantation in the east of the Dominican Republic in June, RTL Nieuws reports.