So far the investigation into a shooting on 24 Oktoberlaan in Utrecht on Monday revealed no links between suspected gunman 37-year-old Gokmen T. and the victims, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday. Three people were killed and multiple injured, three of whom seriously, in the shooting on a tram on Monday morning.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima expressed their shock about a shooting in Utrecht that left three people killed and five injured on Monday. Their sympathies are with the victims, and their thoughts with the residents of Utrecht, they said in a statement on the Koninklijk Huis website. A number of world leaders also expressed condolences and support.
Gokmen T., the 37-year-old man suspected of killing three people and injuring five in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday, has a lengthy criminal record and is considered "scum" among his neighbors. But they don't believe him a terrorist. Relationship problems were behind the shooting, not religion, they told the Volkskrant. Angelique, the victim in a rape case against T., believes the same.
More information is becoming available about the victims of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Rinke Terpstra, a coach at football association DESTO in Leisdche Rijn, and Roos Verschuur, a 19-year-old employee of the Kwalitaria snackbar in Vianen, were killed in the shooting. So far no details are available about the third victim killed. Five people were injured.
One person was taken into custody during the police investigation into a mass shooting in Utrecht. The suspect, 37-year-old Gökmen T., was identified by police earlier as the primary suspect and was still at large when the press conference began. That situation changed suddenly, with new information revealed right at the end of the event.
The tram doors wouldn't immediately open after a man opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht at around 10:45 a.m. on Monday morning, according to one witness. Multiple people were injured. Journalists at the scene report seeing a body covered by a sheet, according to NOS. Though the authorities have not yet confirmed whether anyone was killed.
The Dutch authorities are looking for one suspect following a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the national coordinator for counterterrorism and security NCTV, said in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He added that it can not be ruled out that more people were involved.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte is very worried by a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning. "Very disturbing news', he said to NOS as he was heading back to his office to meet with a crisis team that has been gathered. The national coordinator for counter terrorism and security NCTV increased the threat level for the province of Utrecht to 5, the highest threat level, until at least 6:00 p.m.
Several hundred people gathered on Dam Square in Amsterdam on Sunday afternoon for a peace event in commemoration of the victims of attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday. The event was organized by 13 organizations who want to "send a powerful signal for peace and against terror", NU.nl reports.
On Friday a right-wing extremist man opened fire on two mosques in the New Zealand city. 50 people were killed and dozens were injured.
The man suspected of committing a terrorist attack at Amsterdam Central Station in August intends to do worse if the Dutch government does not intervene against PVV leader Geert Wilders, he said during a proforma hearing on Friday. He also intends to deal with Wilders himself, 19-year-old Jawed S. said in court, NU.nl reports.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte reacted in horror to reports of a shooting at a Christmas market in the French city of Strasbourg on Tuesday evening. At least three people were killed and 12 injured, six of whom are in a serious condition, French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner confirmed, BBC reports.
"Horrible reports about the shooting in Strasbourg", the Dutch Prime Minister said on Twitter. "My thoughts are with the victims and their next of kin. I have conveyed my condolences to President Emmanuel Macron."
One of two American tourists who were stabbed at Amsterdam Central Station in August is now bound to a wheelchair and may be for the rest of his life, his lawyer said in a pro-forma hearing against suspect Jawed S. on Tuesday. The other victim was stabbed in his arm and sustained nerve damage, NU.nl reports.
A group of seven men arrested in September for planning terrorist attacks in the Netherlands, was considering Amsterdam Pride as a possible target, the main suspect said to an undercover police officer, RTL Nieuws reports based on information from multiple sources.
The police infiltrated the group of seven suspects arrested last month for planning a major attack in the Netherlands. An undercover cop made contact with main suspect Hardi N., pretended to be an "attack planner" for terrorist organization Islamic State, and helped the group to plan their attack and arrange weapons, RTL Nieuws and NRC report.
The Public Prosecutor is increasingly convinced that Malek F. had a terrorist motive when he stabbed three people in The Hague in May. A report from Islam experts and bugged conversations F. had since his arrest show that the 32-year-old Syrian refugee had been radicalized, the Prosecutor said in a pro-forma hearing against F. on Monday, NOS reports.
Seven men suspected of preparing for a large terrorist attack in the Netherlands, will stay in custody for at least another 14 days, the court in Rotterdam decided. According ot the judge, there is sufficient evidence to extend their remand, NOS reports.
The authorities in Arnhem has been intensively monitoring a group of about 25 radicalized Muslims for some time, mayor Ahmed Marcouch said. The seven men arrested last week on suspicion of planning a major terrorist attack in the Netherlands, belonged to this group, De Gelderlander reports.
The police released video footage of the arrests of seven men suspected of planning a terrorist attack in the Netherlands. The video shows SWAT teams raiding a white van in a parking lot and entering a home.
Beelden van de arrestaties in het terrorisme onderzoek. pic.twitter.com/ji5w3mLeCM
— Landelijke Eenheid (@PolitieLE) September 27, 2018
Seven men arrested on Thursday were "already a long way" into their plans to commit a terrorist attack in the Netherlands, according to Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security. "It is very intense that there are people walking around who have this planned for us", he said to RTL Nieuws.
"This is intense, but also good news", Grapperhaus said. "The police and the Public Prosecutor followed the men very closely. They were looking for AK47s and bomb belts, really terribly dangerous stuff."
Two men arrested in Rotterdam on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks in the city and in Paris, also took photos and videos of the Erasmusbridge, was revealed during a pro-forma hearing on Wednesday. "These suspects planned to carry out an attack in the short term. Only through rapid intervention by the police and judiciary were they unable to implement these plans", the Public Prosecutor said in the high security court in Rotterdam, ANP reports.
Jawed S., the 19-year-old man suspected of stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station, will remain in custody for at least another 90 days, the court in Amsterdam decided on Thursday, NOS reports.
S. stabbed two tourists before being gunned down by the police. The tourists were seriously injured. His first statements to the police revealed that he was acting with a terrorist motive.
The Dutch intelligence services did not contact their American counterparts quickly enough after a Jawed S. stabbed two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station last week, Pete Hoekstra, the American ambassador to the Netherlands, said to the Telegraaf.
Jawed S., a 19-year-old Afghan man suspected of stabbing two American tourists at Amsterdam Central Station on Friday, expected to die in the attack, his lawyer Simon van der Woude said on Tuesday. "My client seems to have taken into account that he would not survive his action himself, because a testament was found in his home in Germany", the lawyer said, ANP reports.