Family members found unconscious in Doesburg home; carbon monoxide poisoning suspected

Dutch emergency services in action
Dutch emergency services in actionPhoto: Dolfilms/DepositPhotos

Update, 10:54 a.m., 11 Sept. 2019: The father of the family was killed, the mother and one child were reportedly in critical condition. Eleven others, including more children, were in good condition.

Update, 9:30 a.m., 11 Sept. 2019: This story was updated more information about the victims.

Three people were resuscitated on Wednesday morning after they were found unresponsive in a home in Doesburg. Emergency services suspect they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, likely caused by the central heating boiler.

Emergency service responded to the home at 6:59 a.m., with ambulances and the fire department arriving first at the scene. Two trauma helicopters were deployed to the scene at 7:07 a.m. and 7:17 a.m. The situation was escalated to Grip 1 at 7:16 a.m., which means that a commanding officer from one of the emergency services took command of the entire scene.

The current condition of the victims is unknown. According to Omreop Gelderland, some of the victims are children. A total of 14 people live in the home on Monseigneur Bekkerslaan, according to local safety office Veiligheidsregio Gelderland-Midden. The house consists of two connected homes, a spokesperson said to NU.nl.

The fire department is investigating exactly what happened. 

The Dutch Fire Department and the Dutch Burns Foundation raised concerns about the "silent killer" that is carbon monoxide poisoning at the end of last year. Most cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are caused by faulty geysers and heaters, poor ventilation, or clogged smoke channels. The odorless gas is nearly impossible to notice. And the first physical symptoms resemble the flu - a slight headache, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Without intervention, the victim can lose consciousness or even die. 

Tags: