Suspect in cop's wedding procession assault to stay in custody until next year

Police officer attacked by a member of a wedding procession on Westzeedijk in Rotterdam, 30 August 2019
Police officer attacked by a member of a wedding procession on Westzeedijk in Rotterdam, 30 August 2019Photo: Politie/Opsporing Verzocht

A 25-year-old man from Rotterdam suspected of knocking a police officer out during a wedding procession in the city, will remain in custody until his next hearing early in January, the Rotterdam court ruled on Thursday. The man is facing charges of aggravated assault, AD reports.

The man - the bride's brother - was arrested earlier this month in Lopik. Police officers found him hiding underneath a bed, according to the newspaper.

The assault happened on August 30th. At around 4:00 p.m. the police were called about a wedding procession causing problems on Maasboulevaard. Witnesses reported that participants were lying on their horns, driving dangerously, blocking traffic, and that people were sitting on car roofs. 

Police officers addressed the procession, after which they left with a lot of fuss, according to the police. A short time later, there were again reports of the wedding procession causing issues, this time on Westzeedijk. When one participant was arrested, other wedding guests turned against the police, the police said. 

The suspect came up behind a police officer and hit him in the head so hard that the cop lost consciousness, according to the authorities. The officer is still struggling with the incident and is still not fully back at work, the police said. 

Tags: