On Friday the Supreme Court held the Dutch State liable for the events that followed the fall of Bosnian enclave Srebrenica in 2015, but to a lesser extent than the court in The Hague did in a previous ruling. The court previously ruled that the surviving relatives could claim 30 percent of damages suffered from the State. The Supreme Court reduced that to 10 percent, NU.nl reports.
A group of Dutchbat veterans who were at the fall of Srebrenica in 1995 are going to sue the Dutch State for sending the soldiers on an "impossible mission". They want a resolution including apologies and a symbolic amount in compensation, lawyer Micheal Ruperti confirmed to RTL Nieuws after a report by AD.
Dutchbat soldiers who were stationed at the headquarters in Potocari during the Bosnian civil war in 1994 and 1995 are pressing attempted aggravated assault charges against the Ministry of Defense because they were exposed to toxic substances, EenVandag reports.
The Dutchbat headquarters were located in an old battery factory in the Bosnian village, near Srebrenica. According to the soldiers, the factory contained, among other things, asbestos, chemicals and a vat with a "nuclear" warning on it."
A ruling by the court in The Hague that held the Dutch State partly accountable for the death of around 300 Muslim men after the fall of Bosnian Muslim enclave Srebrenica in 1995, is unjust, the Advocate General said in advice to the Supreme Court. According to the advocate General, Dutch UN battalion Dutchbat can not be held liable for the death of the Muslim men, NU.nl reports.
Turkey responded harshly to the Dutch Lower House after its recognition of the Turkish mass murder of Armenians in 1915 as a genocide on Thursday 22. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ankara released a statement where he pointed out that the Chambers's step is inappropriate for a country "that looked the other way during the genocide in Srebrenica".
The Yugoslavia Tribunal in The Hague found former Bosnian-Serb army leader Ratko Mladic guilty of committing genocide in Srebrenica. He was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday, NU.nl reports
The tribunal held Mladic responsible for the mass slaughter of over 7 thousand Muslim boys and men around the Bosnian town of Srebrenica in 1995. He was also held responsible for the systematic shooting of civilians in Sarajevo and the failure to stop subordinates committing war crimes.
The relatives of men killed in the Srebrenica massacre in 1995 made their disappointment in the Hague court's ruling on Tuesday very clear. The court ruled that the Dutch state is responsible for the death of some 350 men, but only accountable for 30 percent of the damages claimed. After the ruling, one of the women started screaming at the judge, RTL Nieuws reports.
The Dutch state is responsible for the death of at least 300 Muslim men at the fall of Srebrenica in July 1995, the court in The Hague ruled on Tuesday. The court ordered the State to pay 30 percent of damages claimed by the relatives of the killed men, ANP reports.
The court previously ruled tha the Dutch state can be held responsible, but both the state and the victims' relatives appealed.
With Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming a narrow victory in a referendum designed to give his office more power, several politicians in the Netherlands expressed disdain for the vote results. Erdogan opponents in Turkey questioned the veracity of the vote count, with Turkish state media claiming that 70 percent of Turkish passport holders in the Netherlands voting to give Erdogan greater authority.
In a new verbal attack, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan holds the Netherlands responsible for the mass murder of thousands of Muslim men in Srebrenica in 1995. "We know the Dutch from the Srebrenica massacre", he said in a speech that was televised live in Turkey, according to the Volkskrant. "We know how rotten their character is due to their murder of 8 thousand Bosnians there."
Former Defense Minister Joris Voorhoeve is criticizing his distant successor Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert for saying that the Dutch mission in Srebrenica was a mission "that - already in advance - was impossible to do" in a speech on Veterans' Day. In a letter in the Volkskrant Voorhoeve writes that military leaders convinced the then Minister that the mission was feasible and therefore Hennis' statement is "evidently a mistake".
More than 100 Dutchbat III veterans reported to claim compensation from the Dutch government. According to them, they were sent on an "already impossible mission" when they were ordered to protect the inhabitants of Bosnian enclave Srebrenica in 1995
The Netherlands does not have to prosecute former Dutchbat commander Thom Karremans for his roll in the fall of Srebrenica in 1995, the European Court for Human Rights ruled on Thursday
Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs is calling on the international community to increase pressure on Syrian president Bashar al-Assad. This is the only way that a genocide, like what happened in Rwanda and Srebrenica, can be avoided in the Syrian city of Aleppo, he wrote in an opinion piece published in British newspaper The Independent.
On Friday former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic filed an appeal against the 40 year prison sentence the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague gave him in March
Flags are hanging at half-mast at the Ministry of Defense buildings in The Hague on Monday to commemorate the 21st anniversary of the fall of the Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica. Today in 1995 Dutchbat III soldiers could not prevent the enclave falling and nearly 8,400 Muslim men and boys being killed by Serbs.
Over 20 years after the fall of Srebrenica, 12 veterans from Dutchbat III are suing the Dutch government for sending them on an "impossible mission", their lawyers announced on Thursday. According to lawyers Michael Ruperti and Klaas Arjen Krikke, the government was "seriously negligent and careless"
French journalist Florence Hartmann was arrested by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague last week. The conditions under which she is being detained, are being met with international disbelief. According to her lawyer, Hartmann is being kept in solitary confinement, with a light burning 24 hours per day and checked on every 15 minutes.
Over twenty years after the end of the war in the Balkans, Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić was sentenced to 40 years imprisonment for his role in the 1995 Srebrenica Massacre. Also referred to as a case of genocide, roughly 8,400 Muslims were slaughtered in the Srebrenica region during July 1995, with most of the victims being men or boys.
The Dutch Institute for War Documentation will be reexamining the fall of Srebrenica. The new investigation follows the Argos documentary on Srebrenica earlier this year, in which former Defense Minister Joris Voorhoeve stated that the Dutch UN soldiers did not get air support when the Bosnian Muslim enclave fell in 1995 because of a secret agreement between France, Britain and the United States.
The families of three Srebrenica victims have asked the European Court of Human rights to prosecute three Dutchbat commanders for the deaths of their relatives. In April the appeals court in Arnhem ruled that the three officers will not be prosecuted.
Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs will attend and speak at the memorial for the 20th anniversary of Srebrenica in Potocari, Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday. This is the first time that a member of the Cabinet will actually give a speech at a Srebrenica memorial, though members of the Dutch government have attended these memorials before.
Former Dutchbat soldiers are stunned by the new information about the fall of Srebrenica that was revealed in a documentary about the enclave that was aired on Monday. They are demanding answers.
In the summer of 1995 Britain, France and the United States secretly decided to no longer carry out air strikes on Serb targets. If this had not happened, the fall of Srebrenica and the subsequent massacre may have been prevented.