Suspect in murder of key witness' brother released

Police uniform
Police uniform. (Photo: Politie)

One of the suspects arrested in connection with the murder of Reduan B., brother of key witness Nabil B., was released from custody. The 34-year-old woman was suspected of illegal firearm possession, but investigation did not connect her to B.'s murder in Amsterdam-Noord in any way, the Public Prosecutor said on Thursday, NU.nl reports. 

According to the Prosecutor, weapons were found in the woman's home, where she lives with her partner. But at this stage there is no reason to keep her in custody. A magistrate in Amsterdam released her on Thursday morning.

The authorities previously also released a 31-year-old man from De Lier. He was a suspect because his DNA was found on one of the firearms found in this investigation.

The suspected gunman, a 41-year-old man from Hilversum, and a 34-year-old man from The Hague are still in custody. The court will decide whether to extend their pre-trail detention next week. Both men are in restricted custody, which means they are only allowed contact with their lawyers. 

Reduan B. was gunned down at his business on TT. Melissaweg on March 29th, less than a week after the Public Prosecutor announced that is brother agreed to be a witness in a number of gang related assassinations. Since this announcement, Reduan received a "limited form" of protection, the Prosecutor previously said. According to the Prosecutor, the man refused more protection. 

Nabil B. was himself involved in the mistaken identity murder of Hakim Chengachi and in preparing for an attempted assassination on Khalid H., both in Utrecht last year, according to the newspaper. 

Tags: