The appeal in the hate speech case against PVV leader Geert Wilders will continue. The court in The Hague saw no reason to declare the Public Prosecutor inadmissible, as Wilders had requested. The court will, however, allow the defense to call former Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten, former head of the Public Prosecution Service Herman Bolhaar and a number of senior officials to testify as witnesses, NOS reports.
The political viewpoints of Geert Wilders and his party PVV played no role in the decision to prosecute Wilders for statements he made about Moroccans, the Public Prosecutor again stressed on Friday at the start of the appeal in the hate-speech case against the PVV leader. This is only about what he said, the Prosecutor said, NU.nl reports.
The top man of the Public Prosecution Service discussed the hate-speech case against PVV leader Geert Wilders with then VVD Minister of Justice Ivo Opstelten, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security said in a letter to parliament. Previously the Prosecutor and various officials from the Justice Ministry denied that this case was discussed, RTL Nieuws reports.
There are "indications" that former Minister Ivo Opstelten of Justice and Security urged the Public Prosecution Service in 2014 to prosecute PVV leader Geert Wilders for hate speech over statements he made about Moroccans, Wilders' lawyer Geert-Jan Knoops said. He asked the court for "further investigation" into the question of whether the Minister influenced this case, Knoops said to RTL Nieuws.
A 2015 traffic accident involving once-prominent VVD politician Fred Teeven was caused by his own use of his phone while driving. Now a professional bus driver, the former Number 2 at the Justice Ministry stated his mea culpa in an interview with De Telegraaf.
PVV leader Geert Wilders expressed his doubts about the neutrality of judge Jeanne Gaakeer, the president of the court of law in The Hague, who is handling the appeal of the hate speech trial against him. According to Wilders, Gaakeer is chairman of a foundation that previously awarded a prize to Sinead Wendt, a left-wing activist involved in anti-Wilders protests.
Nearly a quarter of the Ministry of Security and Justice's employees are so unhappy that they want to resign, according to an internal satisfaction survey at the Ministry. A main complaint is a heavy workload caused by political turmoil surrounding the Ministry, ANP reports.
The survey was dome among 1,300 officials working at the Ministry. A Ministry spokesperson confirmed the figures to NU.nl on Thursday and called them "worrisome".
Minister Ard van der Steur of Security and Justice denies that he withheld information about a deal made in 2001 between then prosecutor Fred Teeven and drug criminal Cees H. "I told parliament exactly what I knew", Van der Steur said to BNR.
VVD Minister Ard van der Steur of Security and Justice is again under fire about his role in a controversial deal Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H. in 2001. A book journalist Bas Haan wrote about this deal revealed that Van der Steur deliberately withheld information from parliament, first as a parliamentarian and then when he took office as Minister. The VVD also had this information, the Volkskrant reports.
The crime rate in the Netherlands is much higher than the official figures reflect, according to a confidential report by the police and Public Prosecutor that newspaper Trouw has in its possession. According to the newspaper, the report speaks of the public authorities facing a looming "unbridgeable disadvantage".
It seems that ruling party VVD will support regulating cannabis cultivation in the Netherlands after all. During a VVD conference in Noordwijkerhout a vast majority of party members forced the party leaders to change their positition on this issue by voting in a proposal for "smarter regulatioin" brought by party members in Zuid-Nederland, Trouw reports.
The role former Security and Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten played in majore irregularities in the National Police Central Work Council's expenses should also be a subject of investigation, according to opposition parties SP, CDA, PVV, D66 and ChristenUnie, NOS reports.
The parties also want former Police Chief Gerard Bouman to be suspended immediately and want him to not play any roll with the police until the investigation against him is done. Bouman is currently an adviser for the police.
"There will be a fuss", now Minister Ard van der Steur of Security and Justice commented in a draft letter about the so-called Teeven-deal when he was still a parliamentarian in 2014. Van der Steur released the draft letter, on which he made 18 suggestions and crossed off several sentences, on Monday
Former Security and Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten gave Parliament incomplete and inaccurate information about an American undercover operation against a former Dutch soldier who sold drugs over the internet, the Volkskrant reports based on case files in its possession. According to the suspect's lawyer, the way in which the U.S. gathered evidence against his client, was illegal.
There is no evidence that Ministry of Security and Justice officials deliberately tried to cover up the receipt showing exact amounts involved in the deal then prosecutor Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H., the Oosting committee concludes in its second investigation into the so-called Teeven-deal
A number of important Dutch people were named in the Amsterdam court on Monday, where witnesses are being questioned in a case surrounding an extensive network of child sexual abuse and child prostitution in Amsterdam in the 1980's. According to the first witness, former mayor Ed van Thijn, former Minister Onno Rudding and Prince Claus were all involved in pedophile-prostitution to some extent.
Minister Ard van der Steur ordered the Oosting-committee to re-examine the so-called Teeven-deal. He wants clarity as soon as possible on whether the receipt that showed the exact amounts involved in the deal Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H. was deliberately withheld
The Dutch cabinet will be limping into the final 1.5 years of this term. While almost the entire opposition supported a motion of censure against the cabinet during the parliamentary debate about the so-called Teeven-deal on Wednesday, they managed to survive the vote, thoroughly chastised but alive.
Opposition parties are accusing Prime Minister Mark Rutte and the VVD of putting fellow party members above the law, concocting a plan to keep former Justice Minister Opstelten in office, damaging the citizens' trust in the government and misleading the Netherlands as a whole, in the parliamentary debate on the deal then-prosecutor Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H. in 2000.
"The Cabinet accepts the conclusion of the investigative committee." The deal then-prosecutor Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H. in 2000 can not pass muster, Minister Ard van der Steur confirms in his answers on 250 parliamentary questions about the deal
The parliamentary debate about the scandal surrounding the so-called Teeven deal with Prime Minister Mark Rutte on Wednesday may well put the Prime Minister on the defensive
A new survey released on Sunday suggests that a narrow majority of the Netherlands voting public wants Prime Minister Mark Rutte to resign. The question about Rutte, a member of the right wing VVD party, was asked by pollster Maurice de Hond following revelations that leaders within his own party made serious errors in disclosing information about a controversial backroom deal with drug dealer Cees H. made in 2001.
The Oosting-committee's report on the deal Fred Teeven made with drug criminal Cees H., has the other parties smelling VVD-blood. And the first victim is to be Tweede Kamer president Anouchka van Miltenburg, who will be answering questions on her role in the affair on Tuesday. The Tweede Kamer is the lower house of Dutch parliament.