Dutch terrorism suspects are often poorly educated, unemployed and have a previous criminal record, according to the Dutch Study Center on Crime and Law Enforcement. Their profile hardy differs from that of ordinary criminals, the researchers conclude, RTL Nieuws reports.
A man with a criminal record was shot and killed in the Noord-Brabant town of Schaijk on Thursday afternoon. Two boys on bicycles found the critically injured man in his car on Rijksweg around 3:00 p.m., he was shot shortly before that, the police said in a statement. Omroep Brabant identifies the victim as 51-year-old Henk Baum from Nistelrode. He died at the scene.
Minister Kasja Ollongren of Home Affairs gave the municipality of Zaanstad permission to ban known trouble-makers and people with a criminal record from renting homes in the problem neighborhoods of Poelenburg and Peldersveld. According to the municipality, this selection policy is the only way to improve the quality of life in these neighborhoods, Het Parool reports.
A 46-year-old woman was found dead in her home on Baron van Asbeckweg in Warfhuizen, Groningen on Sunday afternoon. She was killed in a crime, the police confirmed on Monday. Her 32-year-old boyfriend was arrested in the home, RTV Noord reports.
A spokesperson for the police told the broadcaster that the arrested man is known to the police, which usually means that the suspect has some kind of criminal record.
The police are doing forensic investigations in and around the home. So far nothing was revealed about how the woman died.
A 46-year-old man arrested after a 12-year-old girl was found dead in his car in Assen on Saturday, was remanded into custody for another 14 days on Wednesday. The man is officially suspected of murder or manslaughter, the Public Prosecutor announced on Twitter.
As in previous years, the number of murders committed in the Netherlands decreased in 2016, according to figures Statistics Netherlands released on Friday. Last year a total of 110 people were killed by violence in the country, ten fewer than in 2015. The victims were 76 men and 34 women.
The number of murder victims halved since the start of this century, both in men and women.
The Judiciary is offering a reward of 20 thousand euros for the tip that leads to the arrests of the perpetrators who murdered Eindhoven man Johan van Boxtel early in May. The police are looking for two perpetrators, shown in surveillance camera footage on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday.
On Thursday afternoon a Rotterdam man was dragged out of his car in Amstelveen, pushed into another car and driven off by men in balaclavas. He was found wounded in the province of Zuid-Holland hours later, the police announced in a statement.
The police are hesitant about releasing information. "Everything we release, will be read by the other party too, so we have to be very careful. The investigation is in progress", a spokesperson said to AD. The victim has a criminal record. He received medical treatment for his injuries.
Dutch man Len van Heest, who was deported form Canada on Monday after living there all 59 years of his life, arrived at Schiphol around 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday. He was met by the Salvation Army and a cousin, who will help him find his way in the Netherlands, AD reports.
Canada is working on deporting 59-year-old Dutch born Len van Heerst after the man lived his entire life in the country. The reason for his imminent deportation is a criminal record he built in his youth. Van Heerst does not speak Dutch and doesn't know anyone in the Netherlands and is therefore turning to court to fight his deportation, NOS reports.
Van Heerst emigrated from the Netherlands to Canada with his mother Trixie when he was 8 months old. His mother never applied for Canadian citizenship for him. According to her, she "forgot" to do so.
The Amsterdam city council adopted a proposal made by the D66, PvdA and GroenLinks to limit the certificate of good behavior rule at some jobs in the city, including jobs at the Amsterdam municipality itself. This means that young people with a criminal record now have a better chance at finding work in the Dutch capital, Het Parool reports.
Two suspects arrested after a fatal shooting in Amsterdam on Friday night, were released again on Monday, the Public Prosecutor announced. They are still considered suspects, but at this stage there is no evidence that they fired any shots, the Prosecutor said, according to Het Parool.
The shooting happened around 6:30 p.m. on Friday in front of shisha cafe Atlas on Ten Katestraat. 18-year-old Naoufal Mohammadi was killed. Two other men, age 22 and 24 both from Amsterdam, were slightly injured. They were treated in hospital and were sent home on Saturday.
The victim of a fatal shooting near the AMC in Amsterdam-Zuidoost was identified as 24-year-old Isilnando Kammeron by Het Parool. According to the newspaper, Kammeron is a career criminal with a criminal record dating from when he was 13 years old.
A 22-year-old man was injured in a shooting in Amsterdam Oost during the early hours of Friday morning. He was rushed to the hospital with multiple bullet wounds. The police are calling on witnesses to come forward.
Vincent Jalink was killed in what the police are calling an assassination in Diemen on Friday night. His young son witnessed the assassination. The 38-year-old man had a criminal record and was well known to the Dutch authorities, according to the police statement on the shooting.
A few days before the terrorist attacks in Brussels last week the FBI gave the Dutch police information about the criminal and radicalized background of brothers Ibrahim and Khalid El Bakraoui, Minister Ard van der Steur of Security and Justice wrote to the Tweede Kamer, lower house of Dutch parliament.
The decapitated body and severed head found in diferent parts of Amsterdam this week, belong to 23-year-old Amsterdam resident Nabil Amzieb. He had previous run-ins with the law and was known to the police
The 23-year-old man arrested in Amsterdam on suspicion that he mugged British tourist Richard Cole shortly before he drowned, was released on his own recognizance on Wednesday, the Public Prosecutor announced. He is still a suspect.
The body parts found around a ditch in Etten-Leur last month belonged to 26 year old Danny de Deugd, the police announced on Tuesday. The body parts were identified based on a DNA match.
There is still no trace of 18 year old Gino Heeren and 42 year old Rien de Koning, who were kidnapped from a car dealership in Breda on Tuesday. The police are investigating dozens of tips.
Chris van Esch, the 63 year old man who was critically injured when his car exploded in Breda on Wednesday, has a criminal record spanning 30 years. His record includes drug related offenses, theft and assault
The three Dutch soldiers who were recalled from Afghanistan on suspicion of "a possible offense" by Defense last August, are guilty of "embezzlement in association". This was confirmed by the Public Prosecutor in Arnhem.