Most overcrowded train on Oss-Den Bosch route
The most overcrowded train in the country runs between Oss and 's-Hertogenbosch Oost, according to NS. This sprinter that departs at 7:43 a.m. is around 40 percent more crowded than the maximum capacity of the train every day, with the exception of the weekend. The train that runs on this rout at 8:31 a.m. is also very popular, running at 28 percent over capacity every day, NOS reports.
According to the rail company, the 7:43 a.m. train is popular among school pupils and students - they do not want to arrive at school too early or too late. A special rush hour train runs on this same route at 8:00 a.m., but despite the many complaints about overcrowded trains, most travelers still opt for the earlier train. "It is very difficult to change people's behavior", spokesperson Arno Leblanc said to the broadcaster. "People prefer to get on a crowded train rather than to wait for 15 minutes."
On Monday NS will encourage people at Oss station to make use of the rush hour train by giving travelers who agree to wait for it a free cup of coffee. The rail company hopes that this will help spread the crowd out more. Running longer trains on this route is not an option right now. "The trains to 's-Hertogenbosch comes from Nijmegen and there is no space for a longer trains", Leblanc said. ProRail plans to install a switch to accommodate longer trains in Nijmegen by the end of this year, so longer trains will be possible in the new timetable.
Nationwide NS will make announcements in the train and at stations on how travelers can avoid crowded trains on Monday.
September is the busiest month of the year on the Dutch railways and NS expects a record number of 36.7 million passengers, compared to 35 million in the same month last year.
Most overcrowded trains, with percentage above capacity:
- Oss - 's-Hertogenbosch Oost departing at 7:43 a.m., 41 percent
- Bergen op Zoom - Delft departing at 7:44 a.m., 31 percent
- Breda - Tilburg departing at 7:23 a.m., 30 percent
- Oss - 's-Hertogenbosch Oost departing at 8:13 a.m., 28 percent
- Hilversum - Amsterdam Zuid departing at 8:23 a.m., 28 percent
- Hilversum - Amsterdam Zuid departing at 7:53 a.m., 27 percent
- Schiphol - Delft departing at 7:43 a.m., 27 percent
- Haarlem - Amsterdam Centraal departing at 9:31 a.m., 27 percent
- Zaandam - Amsterdam Centraal departing at 8:09 a.m., 27 percent
- Meppel - Zwolle departing at 8:56 a.m., 27 percent