Man dies in fire in Vlaardingen flat
A fire in a flat on Zwaluwenlaan in Vlaardingen left one man dead on Sunday. The fire broke out in the kitchen of the first floor apartment, and was discovered when smoke passed through ventilation ducts and set off smoke alarms on upper floors, a spokesperson for the fire brigade said to ANP.
Firefighters found the man's body in the apartment. Attempts to resuscitate him were to no avail. The fire department quickly extinguished the fire and is investigating how it started.
A number of residents were asked to evacuate the 14 floor apartment building while the fire department investigated whether carbon monoxide spread through the building.