Groningen home raided in search for shooting suspect
A SWAT team raided a home on Antillenstraat in Groningen on Thursday night in the search for 20-year-old Azim Aynaci. He is suspected of shooting a 21-year-old student on Korreweg, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Aynaci was not found, a police spokesperson confirmed to AD.
The police spokesperson told the newspaper that there were several similar police actions in the city over the past days, but Thursday night was the first time that a SWAT team was used.
On Tuesday the suspect's photo and name were released on Opsporing Verzocht. So far the police received around 35 tips about his possible whereabouts, and tips are still coming in. "We will keep looking for him with everything we have", the police spokesperson said to the newspaper.
On Thursday RTV Noord published a video showing the shooting on Korreweg. Five shots can be heard. The broadcaster reports that the police previously raided Aynaci in June 2016, after someone reported that he threatened them. At his house, officers then found a gas gun and ammunition.
Two other suspects were already arrested in this case.