Skip to main content
Home

Main navigation

  • Top stories
  • Health
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Weird
  • 1-1-2
Image
War In Syria
War in Syria
Crime
AIVD
Dutch jihadist
Syria
foreign rebel fighter in the Syrian civil war
Thursday, 2 May 2019 - 16:00
Share this:
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
  • reddit

At least 55 adult Dutch in Syrian-Kurdish camps: intelligence service

The number of adult Dutch currently in Syrian-Kurdish camps or detention centers increased to 55 over the past month, according to new figures from intelligence service AIVD. Three quarters of them are women. They have a total of 85 children with them, some of whom they took with them from the Netherlands, the rest were born in Syria, NOS reports.

Last month the AIVD said that there were 40 Dutch adults and 65 children currently in camps or detention centers in Syria. The increase has to do with the fall of the ISIS caliphate. After the loss of Baghouz, the last peace of land the terrorist organization occupied, many ISIS fighters surrendered. There were dozens of Dutch among them, according to the broadcaster.

The AIVD believes that there are still around 80 Dutch jihadists active in the combat zone - 30 with jihadist groups in northwestern Syria, and 50 elsewhere in Syria and Iraq. With them are at least 50 and 35 children respectively. 90 percent of these kids are below the age of 9 years, most of them were born in the combat zone.

A total of some 300 Dutch went to fight in the Syrian civil war. Around 90 of them were killed in the combat zone. 60 returned to the Netherlands, according to the AIVD.

Follow us:

Latest stories

  • All overnight trains cancelled near Amsterdam; Schedule should resume Saturday morning
  • Utrecht won't allow any new tobacconists ahead of supermarket cigarette sales ban
  • Rotterdam man, 20, arrested after 4th explosion in city in four days
  • Popular Utrecht brewery goes bankrupt, but optimism remains for a restart
  • All children "stable" after Annecy stabbing; Two still in critical condition
  • Nearly all of Curaçao hit by power blackout for over 12 hours

Top stories

  • All overnight trains cancelled near Amsterdam; Schedule should resume Saturday morning
  • Many households see monthly energy bills fall by 14 percent
  • EU asylum deal a "building block" to reduce influx to Netherlands, State Sec. says
  • Extra public transport to beaches this weekend as summer weather hits
  • Dutch child among six stabbed in random attack on playground in Annecy, France
  • Night train to Amsterdam, Hamburg evacuated after fire breaks out in Austria tunnel

© 2012-2023, NL Times, All rights reserved.

Footer menu

  • Privacy
  • Contact
  • Partner content