Asbestos released in massive fire near Germany border

A large fire destroyed a market in Katwijk on Monday night. The municipality believes that asbestos was released in the fire and three homes were evacuated as a precaution.

According to the Telegraaf, the fire started around 10:45 p.m. in the so-called Free Market on Korte Ooijen. Three halls located next to each other were completely destroyed. A fourth hall also sustained damage.

Firefighters managed to get the fire under control and are still working on extinguishing it.

The municipality believes that asbestos was released, but it is unclear whether it spread throught he area.

The market was open every Saturday and consisted of about 1,500 stalls.