Death threats sent to alderman in asylum debate
Steenbergen alderman Vincent van den Bosch received death threats against him and his family before the municipal council meeting on Wednesday. "My family received a death threat before this meeting, but I am not stepping down", the alderman said during the meeting. Van den Bosch had an altercation with local video blogger Vladimir Hornicek after the municipal council meeting on a possible refugee shelter in the city on Monday night. Hornicek wanted to ask Van den Bosch some questions about the refugee issue and things got out of hand. The interview ended with the alderman pushing the blogger's camera and the blogger posting the footage on the internet. On Wednesday Hornicek told Omroep Brabant that he has nothing to do with the death threats against the alderman. He added that he bought a new camera and will be pressing assault charges against Hornicek on Thursday. A number of parties in Steenbergen suggested that Van den Bosch should step down after this altercation, but so far he is refusing to do so. "People from outside who do not now the situation will be an opponent. But I've also received a lot of positive feedback from Steenbergen residents. They generally find what I did a human reaction that does not affect my work." he said to the broadcaster.