An overnight fire at the Stedelijk Museum in Zwolle was caused by a humidifier exploding, the director of the museum told De Stentor. According to him, the spontaneous explosion was recorded by the surveillance cameras. The fire caused large amount of damage and the museum will likely be closed for repairs for a long time, the director expects.
An overnight fire in the Stedelijk Museum in Zwolle caused massive damage to multiple valuable artworks. The damage is estimated in the hundreds of thousands of euros, De Stentor reports.
The fire department responded to the museum around 00:15 a.m. The fire started on the ground floor of the old part of the museum and spread to the walls and ceiling. The fire brigade quickly managed to get it under control, but as the old part of the museum is one large area, the smoke easily spread through the building.