The Ministry of Defense reached an agreement on compensation with the families of three killed soldiers, a soldier killed during shooting practice in Ossendrecht and two soldiers killed when a mortar grenade exploded during training in Mali, lawyer Michael Ruperti confirmed to ANP.
The family of a military sergeant killed in an accident during a shooting drill in Ossendrecht two years ago, submitted a damage claim to the Ministry of Defense. The family is claiming damage caused by loss of income as well as emotional damage, lawyer Michael Ruperti said to ANP.
The lawyer would not comment on the amount involved in the claim. Defense has until March 1st to respond, or a lawsuit will be filed.
Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert stepped down as Minister of Defense. After hours of debate in the Tweede Kamer on Tuesday evening, she took the political responsibility for negligence in the Defense organization that resulted in the death of two soldiers in Mali last year. Commander of the Armed Forces Tom Middendorp also resigned.
For the first time ever, Dutch soldiers are pressing charges against their employer. On Saturday five members of the Corps Commandos announced that they are pressing charges against the Ministry of Defense over a fatal accident in which Sander Klap was shot and killed during a training exercise in Ossendrecht last year. "If nothing changes, he died for nothing", one of the five soldiers said to newspaper AD on Tuesday.