Suspected jihadist Laura H. told the Rotterdam court on Thursday that her husband Ibrahim wanted to commit an attack preferably in the Netherlands, or in another European country. She insists that she did not know what she was doing when she left for Syria in 2015, ANP reports.
"I want to return to the Netherlands, for the future of my children", a 23-year-old Dutch jihadist in Syria said in an anonymous interview with Belgian broadcaster VRT. The pregnant woman and her young son are currently living in a refugee camp near the Syrian city of Raqqa.
In January the Netherlands will again deploy F-16 fighter jets to fight in the coalition against terrorist organization ISIS in Syria and Iraq, sources confirmed to the Telegraaf. A total of six jets will be sent, four for fighting and two as reserve, and they will be stationed at the Al-Azraq airbase in Jordan, according to the newspaper.
Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs added another nine Dutch to the national terrorism list, bringing the total number of names on the list up to 121. Their assets were frozen and they can no longer access their Dutch bank accounts or credit cards, RTL Nieuws reports.
Terrorist group ISIS called for a terrorist attack during the European Women's Championship football match in Galgenwaard Stadium in Utrecht on July 19th. The call was placed on a pro-ISIS telegram channel according to RTL Nieuws.
England and Scotland will be playing in the affected match.
Suspected jihadist Victor D. from Heeten, Overijssel, wants to return to the Netherlands to be present at his trial, he said in a letter to the court. "In this writing I'm not trying to prove my innocence. I want to tell you what moves me, what touches me and what makes me convinced that I am working for a noble, honest affair", he wrote, according to newspaper AD.
A new database established in the Netherlands contains profiles on 207 suspected Dutch jihadists who traveled to Syria or Iraq to fight in the civil war. The figures show that the Dutch jihadists come from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, three quarters of them are male and they are mostly young - the average age is 23 years, the Volkskrant reports.
A number of Dutch rebel fighters in the Syrian civil war want to return to the Netherlands now that ISIS is suffering huge losses in Raqqa and Mosul, the lawyers representing them said to NOS. But escaping from the conflict zone is difficult, according to the lawyers.
Suspected Dutch jihadist Marouane B. traveled to Syria in 2014 in order to "help children, women and men who are being terrorized by the tyrant Assad", he wrote in an open letter in the hands of RTL Nieuws. "With my whole mind I chose to become a soldier in Syria", he wrote, adding that he joined as a soldier in a 'fighting party'.
An 18-year-old suspected terrorist arrested in Utrecht last week is not dangerous, according to his lawyer. The boy is a disturbed gamer, whose gotten "himself in a tricky position", lawyer Luis de Leon said, according to NOS.
"We are talking about a computer nerd that became entangled in the world of games and chat boxes. He has no affinity with ISIS, is not Muslim and is not radicalized. There is no harm in him." the lawyer said to the Volkskrant. "He does not even speak Arabic."
An 18-year-old man was arrested in Utrecht last week on suspicion of involvement in a terrorist offense, the Public Prosecutor announced on Wednesday. He was remanded to custody for 14 days during his arraignment on Tuesday.
The young man was arrested on Thursday, June 15th. According to the Prosecutor, he is suspected of spreading propaganda for terrorist organization ISIS, including violent videos. There are also indications that he instructed other on how to make explosives. The police are investigating.
A 39-year-old Dutch-Moroccan was sentenced to five years in prison by a criminal court in Ireland for threatening to kill his housemates, calling ISIS attacks in France "excellent" and saying they filled him with "great joy", and telling the police that he would cut the heads off Jews if he only had a sword, local newspaper Independent reports.
A 23-year-old Dutch man calling himself Baran Sason joined the Kurdish YPG militia in Syria to fight against terrorist organization ISIS. He plans to take part in the battle to reclaim Raqqa, the ISIS declared caliphate, he said in interviews with Kurdish news sites. "I fight to recapture this country", he said.
NATO is joining the coalition fighting against terrorist organization ISIS in Syria and Iraq, the 28 NATO member states decided on Wednesday. The Netherlands will contribute two planes to the fight against Islamic State this year, Ministers Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs and Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert announced.
The municipality of Amsterdam projected an image of the British flag, the Union Jack, onto Amsterdam Central Station on Tuesday night to show solidarity with the victims of an attack in Manchester on Monday.
"Out of solidarity with the victims of the attack in Manchester, Amsterdam Central Station is lit with the Union Jack", the municipality said on twitter.
A 19-year-old man convicted of joining a terrorist organization to fight on behalf of ISIS was arrested after taking photos and videos inside a Dutch air base. His criminal record was uncovered after an officer from the Marechaussee stopped him on the Volkel air base last Wednesday, as recording images there is forbidden.
The man was released the following Friday, prosecutors confirmed to RTL Nieuws. There was no evidence that he had committed a crime, or that he was planning to do so, prosecutors told the news outlet.
An Iraqi militia captured the husband of suspected Dutch ISIS supporter Laura H. in Mosul, according to newspaper Trouw. The capture was filmed and members of Ibrahim I.'s family identified him on the footage, the newspaper reported on Friday.
The Sint Joriscollege in Eindhoven decided to cancel a school trip to Paris scheduled for Friday after another terrorist attack in the French city on Thursday evening. One police officer was killed and two others seriously injured in a shooting on the Champs Elysees that was claimed by terrorist organization ISIS, Omroep Brabant reports.
Dutch foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian Civil War that return to the Netherlands pose a risk to the safety of the country, this includes returning children, according to a Terrorist Threat Assessment for the Netherlands published by the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security on Thursday. ISIS won't hesitate to use children to commit terrorist attacks, according to the report, ANP reports.
The Netherlands is contributing an extra 2 million euros for clearing land mines in areas in Syria that have been recaptured from terrorist organization Islamic State, Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs announced in London on Tuesday. Every year the Netherlands contributes about 20 million euros for demining in a number of war-torn countries, including Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Kosovo, Lebanon, Somalia and South-Sudan.
Ahmed M., a sergeant of the Dutch Air Force who defected in 2015 and is suspected of joining terrorist organization ISIS, was placed on the national terrorist list, RTL Nieuws reports. This means that his assets were frozen and he can no longer get money from anyone else in the Netherlands.
Two weeks ago the Dutch Public Prosecutor issued a summons for 10 suspected Dutch jihadists to appear in court today. As the suspects are believed to be in Syria or Iraq, the summons could not be personally delivered. So the Prosecutor found other ways to try and reach the suspects, including social media.
The Public Prosecutor issued an official and public summons to 10 Dutch men believed to be fighting for terrorist organization ISIS in Syria and Iraq. These men are summoned to attend a pretrial hearing in the court of Rotterdam on March 23rd, the Prosecutor said in a statement on the police website.