Carbon monoxide poisoning in Rotterdam sends 16 to hospital
A total of 16 people were taken to various Rotterdam hospitals on Sunday night to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. The poisonous gas was released into their homes by a faulty heating system in their apartment building on Wuysterstraat in Rotterdam-Zuid, RTL Nieuws reports.
A spokesperson for safety office Veligheidsregio Rotterdam-Rijnmond confirmed to the broadcaster that all 16 people were hospitalized and that their current conditions are unclear. He added that he expects they will all be able to return home in short order.
The carbon monoxide leak was reported to the fire department around 7:30 p.m. The apartment building was evacuated. After an inspection, residents could return to their homes. The owner of the building is not allowed to turn on the heating until it's been fixed, NU.nl reports.
Carbon monoxide poisoning initially presents with flu like symptoms. In the worst case scenario it can lead to death. Annually between 5 and 10 people sustain carbon monoxide poisoning in the Netherlands. Almost half the cases involves faulty central heating systems.