Fire sweeps through historic farmhouse, destroys art collection
A historic farm house and art collection in Deest, Gelderland were reduced to ashes on Tuesday night. The fire started in the farmhouse around 8:00 p.m. and by 9:30 p.m. it was clear that the building could not be saved, the Gelderlander reports.
The home belonged to painter Kenne Gregoire. He, his wife and their dog all managed to escape the fire unharmed. They were given shelter with neighbors.
At this stage it is believed that the recently renovated thatch roof of the building caught fire due to a spark from the fireplace chimney. When it was clear that the historic building could not be saved, firefighters decided to let it burn out in a controlled manner - thereby also sealing the fate of the art collection present in the house.
Some asbestos was released in the fire, though it did not spread past the immediate vicinity of the house.
— Omroep Gelderland (@OmroepGLD) December 13, 2016
— HVincidentNL (@HVincidentNL) December 13, 2016