Monday, 16 February 2015 - 14:31
Jewish groups push for more security after Copenhagen attacks
The Centraal Joods Overleg (Central Jewish Board) in the Netherlands is insisting that the security around possible Jewish targets in the Netherlands be heightened immediately. This follows the attacks in Copenhagen over this weekend. "Before the attack in Brussels, May last year, we mainly did the security ourselves. Since then the security has bee increased a little bit, for example at Jewish schools and synagogues on feast days But we believe that this is no longer satisfactory, given the increased threat since Paris and now also Denmark", said Ron van der Wieken, vice president of the Centraal Joods Overleg, NOS reports. He is considering the possibility of guards with automatic weapons and more police patrols. "I think we have to realize that we can not secure everywhere completely", said Esther Voet, director of the Center of Information and Documentation on Israel (CIDI). CIDI is satisfied with the tightening of security after the attacks in Paris and Brussels. "After that all Jewish institutions must evaluate security themselves. I leave taking measures to the professionals. That is a matter for the Jewish security organization Bij Leven en Welzijn, in cooperation with the government." Voet said to NOS.