Friday, May 3, 2013 - 08:23
Copper Thief Dies in the Act
An unidentified man was burned to death due to a short circuit inside an abandoned building on the Mierloseweg in Helmond on Friday. This was according to the police, who suspected that the man had tried to steal copper. A bystander, who heard a bang around 2:00 am and then saw a fire, alerted the emergency services. The unfortunate man, according to a police spokesperson, caused a short circuit while trying to steal copper. When firefighters arrived at the building, they found the man burning. The man died on the spot. Near the man, pieces of loose cut copper wires were found. The building was formerly occupied by Raaymakers Houthandel, which went bankrupt last year. There was no fire in the building itself. Besides the victim, no one else was found on the property.