Friday, March 29, 2013 - 23:23
4G for Remote Areas
KPN is considering replacing the fixed Internet connection with 4G in remote areas in the future. However, the provider emphasizes that the final decision about the extra fast mobile Internet has not been made yet and that it would be a long-term project. Currently, 4G is only accessible in Randstad. When it becomes available country-wide next year, KPN has to decide where exactly to offer the service because the network capacity will be insufficient to supply the whole country. Nu.nl reports that 94 percent of the households in the Netherlands had an Internet connection by the end of 2012. The other 6 percent deliberately chose not to have one or does not have the possibility. In the northern province of Friesland, for example, 33,600 households do not have fiberglass cable.