A 49-year-old man from The Hague was arrested on Monday after publishing a social media post in which he threatened to attack activists with a bomb by blowing himself up as a way of shutting down what he called the "anti-Zwarte Piet movement." He emphasized in the message on Facebook that he "is not joking," and said he wanted to carry out the attack to defend the Sinterklaas tradition as it has been celebrated "for 100 years."
An 18-year-old man from Amsterdam was sentenced to 18 months in prison, four of which conditionally suspended, by the court in Amsterdam on Wednesday. The court found him guilty of hanging a hand grenade on an outer wall of football club ADO's supporters home in The Hague. Two other men were acquitted, NU.nl reports.
Rene V., a 24-year-old man suspected of stabbing four jogging women from his car, was caught because a previous victim in Schagen wrote down the license plate number of his car, was revealed during the trial against V. on Thursday, AD reports.
The incident in Schagen happened in June last year. The female victim was jogging when a honking car came driving at her, the driver making obscene gestures towards her. He slapped her through the open window as he drove pass. She was not injured, but wrote down the license plate number and called the police.
Students at the Trinitas Gymnasium in Almere were threatened after they arranged a number of activities at school for "Coming Out Day" on Friday, according to letters the school sent to parents, Omroep Flevoland reports.
The students involved had arranged a number of activities for Coming Out Day, including local alderman Jerzy Soetekouw coming to raise a rainbow flag at the school. The activities were arranged at the students initiative, and the school gave them room to do so.
The Public Prosecution Service (OM) decided to drop the case against an Utrecht lecturer accused of threatening FvD leader Thierry Baudet. After the populist party's major election victory in March, the lecturer made a post containing the text 'Volkert, where are you?" on Facebook. The FvD and Baudet pressed threat and incitement charges against him. But the Prosecutor concluded that the text is not enough to constitute a concrete threat.
Court reporter Chris Klomp was threatened on Thursday night. A brick was thrown through his kitchen window, and a threatening note was stuck to his door. The note instructed Klomp to delete his social media accounts, "or we'll be back", according to photos he posted on Twitter.
"We were just in bed, and then everything downstairs suddenly lies in ruins. That does scare you", the reporter, who writes for newspaper AD and others, said to NOS.
In the first half of this year, the Dutch police registered 5,113 cases of aggression and violence against police officers. These figures are usually released on an annual basis, but the police decided to release provisional figures at the media's request after four cops were injured during arrests in Rotterdam over the weekend, NOS reports.
A 23-year-old man who injured four women by stabbing them from his moving car while they were jogging or cycling in Noord-Holland, did it because he got a "thrill" out of it, he said in the statement. Rene V. is also suspected of threatening six other victims, the Public Prosecutor revealed in a pro-forma hearing against the man on Thursday, AD reports.
Transgender couple Kristiana Moretti and Arianne Brink are moving out of their apartment in Heerlen because a group of young people in the neighborhood continually harassed and threatened them. After mediation by mayor Emile Roemer, the housing association offered a new apartment to the couple, 1Limburg reports.
The police rescued a 17-year-old girl from the trunk of a car in the Limburg village of Peel on Thursday morning. The girl had been reported missing a few days earlier. A 22-year-old man from Panheel was arrested. The girl is doing well under the circumstances, the police said in a statement.
A resuscitation in a bar in Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel escalated into a brawl on Saturday when two drunken men turned against the first responders. A 40-year-old man from Nieuwerkerk and a 41-year-old man from Fijnaart were arrested. The man who needed resuscitation, a 64-year-old man from Fijnaart, died at the scene, Omroep West reports.
Police in Amsterdam were looking for any witnesses to a violent incident on metro line 50 when a gun was pulled out and pointed at someone’s head during an argument between passengers. The incident happened at about 4:40 p.m. inside a subway train bound for Gein.
Authorities say it all started when two men entered a metro car together behind a third man at the Sloterdijk station. The two men harassed several women in the subway, police said, including one who was seated opposite the third man. He spoke up in defense of the women.
Humeyra, a 16-year-old girl who was shot and killed at her school in Rotterdam in December, reported her ex-boyfriend to the police on four separate occasions, filing charges of assault, stalking and threats against him. For eight months she lived in fear of Bekir E., her ex-boyfriend who is now suspected of killing her, RTL Nieuws reports based on the police reports the girl filed.
A third of all municipal councilors in Gelderland have been threatened or faced with violence, according to a survey among nearly 400 councilors from all 51 Gelderland municipalities by Omroep Gelderland. That puts the percentage of threatened councilors higher than the 29 percent national average.
The Dutch military training mission in Iraq was suspended due to an increased threat in the region. The nature of the threat is unknown. The commander of the international coalition that coordinates training in the region ordered the mission to stop, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Defense said to NU.nl.
This temporary halt applies to all international allies who provide training in the area. Some 50 to 60 Dutch soldiers were ordered to cease their work "until further notice" due to an increased threat.
Two people were arrested in a Pathé cinema in the center of The Hague on Thursday. They showed 'threatening behavior' in one of the cinemas, during the film Hotel Mumbai which is about an attack on a hotel in Mumbai in 2008, NOS reports.
The F-Side, the hardcore of Ajax supporters, warned the Telegraaf and other media to stop filming supporters around matches. This follows a Telegraaf reporter and cameraman being attacked when they filmed F-Side supporters before the match between Ajax and Tottenham Hotspur in London on Tuesday, NOS reports.
A 16-year-old boy who went to his Roermond school heavily armed last year, tried to murder two people, according to the Public Prosecutor. The boy will therefore be charged with double attempted murder, De Limburger reports.
The Dutch authorities launched a Safe Press project on Monday with the goal to better protect journalists and help ensure that they can do their jobs safely. The project includes the police and Public Prosecutor giving high priority to finding perpetrators of violence or aggression against journalists, harsher punishment demands for these crimes, and a hotline where journalists can report incidents, the police said in a statement.
A 21-year-old woman from Nijmegen who was arrested on Monday for involvement in death threats made against FvD leader Thierry Baudet during an anti-racism protest in Amsterdam, regrets what she did. In a statement to the police, she said that "underestimated the impact of her words", NU.nl reports.
The woman was released again on Tuesday evening.
Over the weekend, videos filmed at the protest were posted online, showing a protester with a scarf over their face singing: "If you want to shoot Thierry, then say bang."
"Unacceptable", Prime Minister Mark Rutte said about threats made against FvD leader Thierry Baudet after the nationalist party's major win in the Provincial States elections last week. All politicians must be able to perform their duties in safety and freedom, Rutte said to the Telegraaf. "Democracy is not easy, but it is a valuable possession.
The police temporarily cordoned off the Grote Markt in Haarlem on Thursday morning after a suspicious package was found in front of the city hall. Investigation revealed that it was just an empty suitcase, ANP reports.
The suitcase was found on the landing of the city hall, which is located on Grote Markt, early in the morning. Defense's explosive disposal service investigated the suitcase and determined that it contained nothing dangerous. The square was released again at around 8:30 a.m.
The police call on witnesses who saw the suitcase being left there to come forward.
An 18-year-old man from Amsterdam was arrested at the end of last year for threatening to commit a school shooting. Footage of other school shootings and bomb attacks were found on his phone. The arrest was only announced now due to the personal circumstances and the young age of the suspect, a spokesperson for the Public Prosecutor said to AT5.
The suspect was arrested after the posted a comment on a YouTube video saying that he was planning his own school shooting, according to the Amsterdam broadcaster. The man was busy making firearms and knives and acquiring a balaclava.