Jos de G. was sentenced on appeal to 12 years in prison for raping and killing 15-year-old Nicole van den Hurk in 1995. The court in Den Bosch convicted him of rape and manslaughter on Tuesday. When this case was first tried two years ago, De G.
The appeal in the case against Michael P. for the rape and death of Anne Faber will start in the court of Arnhem on November 29th. This will be a so-called directing session - the case will not yet be dealt with in substance. During this hearing P.'s lawyers and the Public Prosecutor can make any investigation demands known, ANP reports.
A 38-year-old Afghan refugee who was convicted of raping an 18-year-old woman with a slight mental impairment in 2016, received a lower sentence from the court in Amsterdam to prevent him being deported, the Telegraaf reports.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 2 years in prison against Zaman S. for the rape. But the court ruled that the sentence must not have the consequence that he is deported, according to the newspaper.
A man from Schiedam was remanded to 30 days in custody on Tuesday. He was arrested earlier this month for threatening to commit a terrorist attack following the death of PVV city councilor in The Hague Willie Dille, ANP reports.
The As-Soennah mosque in The Hague wants the authorities to do an in-depth investigation into the death of PVV city councilor Willie Dille. Such an investigation is in the interest of Dutch society and can help prevent further polarization, mosque chairman Abdelhaid Taheri said to newspaper AD.
"In the interests of solidarity and because of the unrest that has arisen, it is important that there is a large investigation into whether her accusations are true or not", Taheri said.
Possible mistakes made by the Netherlands forensic institute NFI in investigations into stabbings and assaults had no influence on the court case surrounding the murder and rape of Eindhoven girl Nicole van den Hurk in 1995, according to lawyer Job Knoester. He is representing Jos de G. in the appeal against his rape conviction in this case, ANP reports.
Mayor Pauline Krikke of The Hague is meeting with the top of the police and Public Prosecution Service on Friday about the death of PVV city councilor Willie Dille. "We will sit down an then look again at what the situation is", Krikke, who cut her vacation short and returned to The Hague after Dille's death, said to RTL Nieuws.
PVV leader Geert Wilders is shocked by the death of Willie Dille, a PVV city councilor in The Hague. "There are no words", he said in a statement released on Twitter
"Willie was a great, warm colleague who always looked out for her fellow human beings and for the youth in particular. We will miss her enormously. There are no words", Wilders said. Dille was a parliamentarian for the PVV for two years. "We wish her partner, children, her colleagues from the PVV The Hague faction, and everyone who loved her a lot of strength with this indescribable loss."
The Hague city councilor Willie Dille committed suicide on Wednesday, newspaper AD reports based on sources.
Earlier on Wednesday Dille posted a video on Facebook in which she claimed that she was kidnapped, raped and assaulted by a group of Muslim people on March 15th last year - the day of the municipal elections. The perpetrators wanted her to keep quiet in the city council, Dille said.
PVV city councilor in The Hague Willie Dille posted a video on Facebook on Wednesday in which she said that she was gang-raped by Muslims in March last year. The 53-year-old politician looks tired and emaciated in the now-removed video, newspaper AD reports. The PVV released a statement asking that Dillie be left in peace.
The police in Limburg sent a letter of apology to a woman who was raped by a patient of a psychiatric prison who was on unaccompanied leave in December 2016. While being questioned after reporting the rape, the then 21-year-old woman was put under pressure by two sex crime detectives who did not believe her, The Volkskrant reports.
Hundreds of people participated in a silent march through Rotterdam on Tuesday. The march was a protest against sexual harassment and violence, and to show support for a young woman who was brutally raped in the city. They carried signs with texts like "No means no", "We are not objects", "Our rights are not up for grabs, neither are we", and "Private property, consent mandatory".
The residents of the Rotterdam district of De Esch expressed massive support for the Indonesian student who was raped and seriously injured in front of her home in the neighborhood a week and a half ago. In an initiative organized by two local residents, some 530 cards and messages were written for the young woman, NOS reports.
The police arrested a suspect for the brutal rape of a young woman in front of her home on Herman Bavinckstraat in Rotterdam on Saturday. The 18-year-old man from Rotterdam was arrested on Tuesday evening, the police announced on Wednesday.
A young woman was attacked and raped in front of her home on Herman Bavinckstraat in Rotterdam on Saturday morning. She was rushed to hospital, where she underwent surgery and is currently still in intensive care. So far the police were unable to extensively talk to her. The police are looking for a dark-skinned man of around 20. He was wearing a dark colored hoodie and cycling on a dark colored bicycle.
As more European countries are implementing laws under which sex without explicit consent is considered rape, calls are sounding in the Netherlands to introduce a similar law.
Sweden implemented a law on July 1st which states that you have to ask permission before having sex. If the other person does not give explicit permission, you can be convicted of rape. Earlier this week Spain announced that it will soon introduce a similar law.
Michael P. was convicted of raping and murdering 25-year-old Anne Faber from Utrecht. He was sentenced to 28 years in prison on Tuesday, with compulsary institutionalized psychiatric treatment. He also has to pay Anne's family 56 thousand euros in compensation. The sentence is equal to what the Public Prosecutor demanded, NOS reports.
The Public Prosecutor demanded 28 years in prison and forced institutionalized psychiatric treatment against Michael P. for raping and killing 25-year-old Anne Faber. "It is unacceptable what agony she must have endured", the Prosecutor said in court on Tuesday, NOS reports. "The fear she must have felt defies all imagination."
Anne Faber's family had the chance to speak in court on Tuesday during the second day of the trail against her suspected murderer Michael P. "Anne, full of joy, only 25, so innocently out on a bike ride. The perpetrator destroyed everything. Her life, our lives and the lives of everyone who loved her", the young Utrecht woman's father said in court, NOS reports.
"Honestly, I think I should have the right to punish the perpetrator myself. I have such pain in my heart", Anne's father continued. "Anne is the most precious and vulnerable thing in my life, along with my son Rogier."
Michael P. stated that he killed 25-year-old Anne Faber after he raped her because she called for help, was revealed during the first day of the trial against him on Monday.
P. said he wanted to let Faber go after the rape. But when she saw a cyclist and called for help, he stabbed her to death with a knife to keep her quiet.
Michael P., the man suspected of raping and killing Anne Faber, will also be prosecuted for assaulting three employees of the Pieter Baan Center. The assaults happened in February, NU.nl reports.
P. was admitted to the Pieter Baan Center for a mental health assessment. One morning in February, he assaulted one employee. That evening he attacked two others.
Judge Rinus Otte made no mistakes in the 2012 trial against Michael P., the man now suspected of murdering Anne Faber, Fred van der Winkel, president of the Arnhem-Leeuwarden court said to the Volkskrant on Wednesday.
Wim Faber, father of murdered Anne Faber, wants prosecutor Rinus Otte to step down. He believes that the rape and murder of his daughter could have been prevented if the court sentenced suspect Michael P. to institutionalized psychiatric treatment when he was first given jail time for raping two underage girls, Faber wrote in an open letter in the Volkskrant.
Three soldiers accused of various forms of misconduct at the Airmobile Brigade barracks in Scaarsbergen, filed a complaint against State Secretary Barbara Visser of Defense. They believe the State Secretary already publicly condemned them, despite the investigation still being ongoing, AD reports.