The alleged burglar who orchestrated the recent heist at the Rotterdam Kunsthal says he will return five of seven stolen artworks if he is tried in a Netherlands court instead of one in Romania.
Romanians are ashamed of the Kunsthal Art Heist. “Our country is disgraced in the world by culture barbarians.” And: “This will have implications for the accession of Romania to the Schengen countries.” With this Romanian media headlines characterize the effects of the robbery of seven masterpieces from museum the Kunsthal in Rotterdam in October of last year.
On Tuesday the perpetrators of the 'art heist of the century' will show up for the first time in court in the Romanian capital Bucharest. One of the six suspects is still on the run.
Three of the seven famous paintings, which were stolen from the Kunsthal in Rotterdam, were burned, says the leader of the Romanian researchers, Gheorghe Niculescu, who investigated the whereabouts of the art works. “We have found convincing evidence that three paintings were destroyed by fire,” Niculescu said on Monday about the police investigation.