Rembrandt's 413th birthday celebrated in Netherlands
Today would have been Rembrandt van Rijn's 413th birthday. The Rembrandthuis Museum in Amsterdam is celebrating with a festival on the street where the 17th century painter used to live. The Rembrandt Art Festival starts at 10:00 a.m., featuring artists in action, workshops, stalls and live music, RTL Nieuws reports.
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is also opening its Lang Leve Rembrandt, or Long Lives Rembrandt, exhibition on Monday. The exhibition features 563 works by artists inspired by the famous Dutch painter.
This year is also the 350th anniversary of the painter's death, and the whole year has been dedicated to Rembrandt in the Netherlands. Exhibitions and activities can be seen throughout the country, including a public restoration of his masterpiece The Night Watch in the Rijksmusuem.
Rembrandt exhibitions, compiled by RTL Nieuws:
- Rembrandt and the Mauritshuis, Mauritshuis museum in The Hague, January 31st to September 15th
- Inspired by Rembrandt, Rembrandt House Museum in Amsterdam, June 7th to September 1st
- Rembrandt & the Golden Age, Museum De Lakenhal in Leiden, June 20th to October 3rd
- Lang Leve Rembrandt, Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, July 15th to September 15th
- Laboratorium Rembrandt, Rembrandthuis Museum in Amsterdam, September 21st to February 16th
- Rembrandt masterpiece from the Israel Museum, Joods Historisch Museum in Amsterdam, September 13th to November 10th
- Rembrandt-Velázquez, Rijksmuseum, October 11th to January 19th
- Pieter De Hooch in Delft, Uit de schaduw van Vermeer, Museum Prinsenhof Delft, October 11th to February 16th
- Nicolaes Maes, Mauritshuis in The Hague, October 17th to January 19th
- Young Rembrandt, Museum De Lakenhal in Leiden, November 3rd to February 9th