Earthquakes hit Appingedam two days in a row
The Groningen city of Appingedam was hit by two earthquakes in two days time. The earthquakes happened on Wednesday and Thursday, and both registered 1.9 on the Richter scale, according to meteorological institute KNMI.
Multiple people reported feeling the quakes, Dagblad van het Noorden reports. Some also reported hearing a bang with Thursday's earthquake.
Over the past two weeks there were eight small earthquakes in the gas extraction area in Groningen:
- July 28th, Ten Post - 0.8 on Richter scale
- July 29th, Veendam - 0.8 on Richter scale
- July 29th, 't Zandt - 0.9 on Richter scale
- August 5th, Hellum - 0.3 on Richter scale
- August 6th, Overschild - 0.5 on Richter scale
- August 6th, Scharmer - 0.9 on Richter scale
- August 8th, Appingedam - 1.9 on Richter scale
- August 9th, Appingedam - 1.9 on Richter scale