Authorities at the scene of the massacre on a Tunisian beach on Friday (Picture: Twitter/@TheAnonMessages) - Credit: Authorities at the scene of the massacre on a Tunisian beach on Friday (Picture: Twitter/@TheAnonMessages)
Friday, June 26, 2015 - 16:25
Many Dutch near Tunisia terror attack, at least 27 killed
Two gunmen opened fire on a beach in the Tunisian city of Sousse on Friday. At least 27 people were killed and six wounded, according to a spokesperson for the ministry of Home Affairs. According to travel agency TUI, 82 Dutch people are housed in six adjacent hotels next to the beach. "Those beaches are public, anyone can access it", Laura Water of TUI told AD. Meenemen.nl, a site on which travelers can fill out a packing list to make sure they don't forget anything, also told the newspaper that dozens of Dutch people are in the area based on an inventory of their user base. Most of these travelers are booked into an all-inclusive hotel similar to the hotels that were affected by the attack. The attack happened at Port el-Kantaoui, a popular resort on the Mediterranean coast, just north of Sousse, NOS reports. According to eyewitnesses, the attackers came by sea. There was a shootout between the gunmen and security forces at the RIU Imperial Marhaba. Local media reports that one gunman was slain by the police and another culprit was arrested after a manhunt. So far nothing is known about the identities and nationalities of the victims.