Friday, June 26, 2015 - 16:05
Dutchman claims to have killed 40 ISIS fighters
Richard Jansen, a former soldier in the Dutch military, claims to have killed about 40 people fighting for terrorist organization Islamic State in northern Iraq. Jansen said this in an interview with EenVandaag on Friday, Het Parool reports. The Dutchman joined the Kurdish rebel group YPG, a militia force of Syrian Kurds involved in defending Kobani, late last year. According to him, he decided to join them after seeing the atrocities committed by ISIS, such as the many beheadings. "With my military background I can help the Kurds", he said. Jansen performed numerous tasks in the group, including giving military training to other foreign fighters. In January this year, Jansen decided to join the fighting at the front. According to him, he killed dozens of ISIS fighters while fighting in a mountainous area in northern Iraq. "They are not people, it is target shooting at the fair", he said. Jansen told EenVandaag that he was badly injured during this offensive an is now recovering in a clinic in Germany. The former Dutch soldier may be facing prosecution from the Public Prosecutor for taking part in the war in Syria and Iraq. He would be the first Dutchman to be prosecuted for fighting on the Kurdish side. So far only Dutch people who joined ISIS or other jihadists groups have been prosecuted.
Video: de Nl'se sluipschutter die IS-strijders doodde: ‘Het zijn geen mensen, het is prijsschieten op de kermis.’https://t.co/md8tumEeTp— EenVandaag (@EenVandaag) June 26, 2015