Tuesday, 12 August 2014 - 14:37
Sixty sickened in Brabant norovirus case
An outbreak of the norovirus at a Brabant campsite left over 60 guests sick last week, the regional office of health agency GGD has confirmed. Authorities were alerted when more than 60 guests reported gastrointestinal symptoms including nausea and diarrhea, after holidaying at the Prinsenmeer campsite. Visitors had complained of numerous hygiene issues at the park. “The toilets are dirty and shower trays are full of hair,” said one of the campers. People can become infected with norovirus when they come into contact with food or water which contained feces, or through direct contact with someone who is infected with the virus. Initially it was thought that guests at the Prinsenmeer campsite had become infected after bathing in the lake and campsite swimming pools. However in a statement, the environment service in charge of southeast Brabant has reported that the water in both the outdoor and indoor swimming pools has been examined and found to be safe. The novovirus is an inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, accompanied by nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. While their is no cure, the virus can be avoided by adherence to strict hygiene routines and adequate water intake.In total, more than sixty campers became ill. Either people had seek medical attention, and a child was briefly hospitalized.