Serious accident rate concerns auto association
The Royal Dutch Touring Club (ANWB) wants there to be closer investigation into the number of traffic accidents that happened recently. The Club has not exact figures, but has a feeling that it is increasing.
"We think we are seeing the number of serious accidents is rising and we are troubled by that. We want to know what is going on and think that this should stop immediately", a spokesperson says.
The Foundation for Scientific Research of Traffic Safety does not see an increase in the number of traffic accident victims. "We are actually seeing a drop. But the figures over 2014 are not yet known, and we do not keep track every day of how many fatalities there are."
In 2013, there were 570 fatalities caused by traffic accidents in the netherlands. This was 80 less than the year before, a decrease of around 12 percent. The drop in the Netherlands was considerably more than the European average of eight percent. Motorcycle riders were also part of this trend. Last year, 29 bikers were killed in traffic accidents. This was 56 in 2012.
According to the ANWB, more trauma helicopters have been called in for traffic accidents recently than normal, however. This last week only, there were eight serious accidents, which cost five people their lives.
- Tuesday 27 May: Chain of accidents on A7 at Zaandam. Ten cars, one truck and a van crashed into each other. Six people were wounded and brought to hospital
- Monday 26 May: A truck crashes into the median strip on the A15 at the Deil and Leerdam intersection. The Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment took a day to clear the damage.
- Monday 26 May: Three cars crashed on the A9 at Badhoevedorp. One person was injured.
- Saturday 24 May: Six cars and a truck crashed on the A28 at Strand Nulde. Six people were injured and one woman died.
- Saturday 24 May: Two people died in a car fire on the A2 from Eindhoven to Den Bosch.
- Wednesday 21 May: A truck driver died as it caught fire after a collision with a car in the Heinenoordtunnel on the A29 near Rotterdam. The tunnel opened the following day.
- Tuesday 20 May: One driver died as his car crashed into a truck, and then another vehicle at 04:30 a.m. on the A2 at Breukelen. The Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment shut the A2 in part, causing a long jam.
- Tuesday 20 May: Cement mixer crashes into a truck on the A50 near Arnhem. Traffic was re-directed via the A15 and A12.