Wednesday, 16 October 2013 - 05:47
Carbon Monoxide Poisonings Amsterdam
In Amsterdam and Amstelveen a total of sixteen people from five different houses have been taken to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. In Amsterdam Nieuw West seven people from two different houses at the Theodorus Dobbestraat were taken to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. A family of five with three children from the Michelangelostraat in the Apollo area had to go to the hospital too with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The family had already a few days problems with the warm water. Inspection of the heating system in the basement showed too high concentrations of carbon monoxide. The occupants of two houses in Amstelveen smelled gas. Inspection showed that they also had a high level of carbon monoxide in their houses. A parent and a kid from one house and the two neighbors from the other house were taken to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and taste less gas and hence difficult for people to detect. It is a product of incomplete combustion due to insufficient oxygen supply. Exposures at levels of 100 ppm or more can be dangerous to the health. Incomplete combustion can happen in gasoline and diesel engines, cooking equipment and heaters. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include light-headedness, confusion, headaches and flu like effects. Larger exposures can lead to death.