Seven men suspected of preparing for a large terrorist attack in the Netherlands, will stay in custody for at least another 14 days, the court in Rotterdam decided. According ot the judge, there is sufficient evidence to extend their remand, NOS reports.
After the arrest of seven suspected terrorists in Arnhem and Weert on Thursday, the mayor of Weert is discussing extra security measures around the fair in the city with the police. It is known that the arrested men are suspected of planning a terrorist attack at an event in the Netherlands, but which event is still unclear, RTL Nieuws reports.
The youngest of the suspected terrorists arrested on Thursday, was previously arrested for taking selfies with F-16 fighter jets at the military airbase in Volkel, according to the Telegraaf. At that time 21-year-old Wail el A. was already once convicted for a failed attempt to travel to Syria and join a terrorist organization there, the newspaper writes.
The police released video footage of the arrests of seven men suspected of planning a terrorist attack in the Netherlands. The video shows SWAT teams raiding a white van in a parking lot and entering a home.
Beelden van de arrestaties in het terrorisme onderzoek. pic.twitter.com/ji5w3mLeCM
Seven men arrested on Thursday were "already a long way" into their plans to commit a terrorist attack in the Netherlands, according to Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security. "It is very intense that there are people walking around who have this planned for us", he said to RTL Nieuws.
"This is intense, but also good news", Grapperhaus said. "The police and the Public Prosecutor followed the men very closely. They were looking for AK47s and bomb belts, really terribly dangerous stuff."
The terrorism threat level in the Netherlands remains substantial at 4 on a scale of 5 after the arrest of seven suspected terrorists on Friday, the national coordinator for counter terrorism and security NCTV said, RTL Nieuws reports.
On Wednesday the Public Prosecutor demanded prison sentences up to nine years against the nine men suspected of involvement in a failed attempt to hijack a helicopter and break gang leader Benaouf A. out of the prison in Roermond. Some of the suspects are also facing charges of weapons possession and possession of stolen cars, NU.nl reports.
Dutch drug criminals are increasingly involved in making crystal meth. Over the past year, 10 crystal meth laboratories were dismantled in the Netherlands. "A few years ago, we hardly ever saw it", a police spokesperson said to NRC, calling 2018 a "turning point" in the production of meth.
The fire brigades in Noord-Brabant and Limburg had their hands more than full with multiple wildfires on Sunday. The fires were caused by continuing drought in the two provinces, RTL Nieuws reports.
In Budel a large wildfire had fire departments from the entire region busy on Sunday. A drone team was deployed to get a complete picture of the burning area. About 10 hectares burnt down.
The police arrested a 24-year-old man from Weert for abducting a 6-year-old girl in the Limburg city last week. The girl was playing in a playground when the man spoke to her, grabbed her and bundled into the boot of his car. The girl was released a short time later.
A 6-year-old girl was abducted for a short time in Weert, Limburg on Wednesday evening. She was playing in a playground on Maastrichtstraat when an unknown man bundled her into the trunk of his car. She was found unharmed, but terribly shaken, a short time later, the police said in a statement.
A Dutch-Polish drug gang was busted in a combined effort by the Dutch, Polish and German police. The Dutch police raided multiple places in the south of the Netherlands on April 16th and 17th and arrested seven suspects. Another seven suspects were arrested in Poland. They are all suspected of being part of a criminal organization involved in drug trafficking and dealing in chemicals intended for the production of synthetic drugs, the police said on Friday.
The municipality of Weert is having a crisis debate on Wednesday regarding problems with criminal asylum seekers staying in the local asylum center. The municipality will discuss this issue with the central agency for the reception of asylum seekers COA, the Public Prosecutor, the police and the Repatriation and Departure Service, ANP reports.
Three people were arrested in the asylum center in Weert on Monday evening on suspicion of violence and vandalism. Initial reports stated that a man was threatening others with a firearm, but the police emphasize that this was not the case, the Telegraaf reports.
Sources told regional newspaper 1Limburg that tensions were high in the asylum center all day and that a man with a firearm threatened to shoot people. According to the police, this is not what happened and there was no question of a hostage situation.
The court in Den Bosch sentenced former police officer Mark M. to five years in prison on Monday afternoon. The 31-year-old man from Weert was found guilty of selling confidential police information to criminals for years, thereby earning at least 80 thousand euros. The sentence is equal to what the Public Prosecutor demanded.
The police arrested a 15-year-old boy at Eindhoven Central Station on Sunday on suspicion that he stabbed an underage resident of the asylum center in Weert earlier in the day. The victim was taken to hospital for treatment, the police said in a statement.
The stabbing happened around 5:00 p.m. The boy stabbed the asylum center resident and then fled by train to Eindhoven. He was arrested at the station and taken to a police station for questioning.
The police raided dozens of address in the south of the Netherlands and in Belgium on Tuesday as part of a major operation against synthetic drugs, called Operation Impact. Five people were arrested, three in Belgium, two in the Netherlands, NOS reports.
The operation involved the police, Public Prosecutor, Tax Authority, Koninklijke Marechaussee and dozens of municipalities. Raids were done in Mariahout, Tilburg, Waspik and Weert, based on information from ongoing investigations and reports to municipalities and hotlines.
The Ministry of Defense is launching an investigation into a former soldier being sexually abused in 1982, a spokesperson confirmed to ANP. Ex-soldier Ronald Vreeburg says that he was abused by five other soldiers at the Royal Military school in Weert, Limburg when he was 17 years old.
According to Vreeburg, he reported the abuse to the peloton leadership after it happened, but he was not taken seriously. In 2015 he spoke to the Inspector General of the Armed Forces, and was told that the case was past its statute of limitations, the news wire reports.
The police will make no further announcements about two persons who were found dead in a home in Weert on Monday "out of respect for the loved ones", the police said in a statement. The victims were identified as a 44-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman who lived in the home on Graafschap Hornelaan.
According to the police, investigation ruled out a crime "involving a third person". The investigation was therefore closed.
The police found two bodies in an apartment on Graafschap Hornelaan in Weert, Limburg on Monday morning. Exactly what happened in the home is still unclear. The police are investigating, ANP reports.
According to Eindhovens Dagblad, the victims are a man and a woman. Around 9:30 a.m. emergency services received a report that the two did not show up at work. The police went to check the home and found the bodies.
De Limburger reported that there was a fight at the same address earlier on Monday morning, but the police deny this.
Several parliamentarians are praising Weert mayor Jos Heijmans for his persistence in getting six North-African asylum seekers prosecuted for breaking curfew over New Year's. On Thursday Heijmans announced that he is turning to court after the Public Prosecutor decided not to prosecute these men.
About 50 barrels filled with what is believed to be drug waste were found dumped in and around the Zuid-Willemsvaart near Weert on Tuesday, 1Limburg reports.
The barrels were spotted by a passing skipper around Sluis 16. Dutch public works department Rijkswaterstaat and the police are at the scene to investigate. The barrels are being checked for leaks and removed from the water. Their content will be researched afterwards.
On Tuesday evening two police officers and a photographer in Weert fell ill after investigating dumped barrels of drugs-waste. They were suffering from stinging eyes and irritated airways and were taken to hospital, a police spokesperson said to AD.
A number of 200 liter barrels and about ten 50 liter barrels were found on Driehoeksweg. It is believed that several of these barrels leaked. Exactly what substances are in the barrels is still unclear.
The police called in a specialized company to clean up the drug waste.
Earlier this month State Secretary Klaas Dijkhoff of Security and Justice suggested that mayors keep problem causing asylum seekers under a form of house arrest during the holidays. But forcing asylum seekers to stay inside goes against Dutch law, legal experts from the Center for Public Order and Safety said to broadcaster BNR.