The Public Prosecutor wants to keep the 22-year-old man suspected of involvement in a terrorist threat in Rotterdam in custody. The young man will be arraigned before the end of the day, NOS reports.
A 22-year-old man arrested in Zevenbergen, Noord-Brabant early on Thursday morning, posted a threat in which he promised an attack during a concert by American band Allah-Las in Rotterdam's Maassilo on Wednesday night, Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice confirmed to BNR, calling it an"idiotic action".
The police arrested a 22-year-old man in Noord-Brabant during the early hours of Thursday morning in connection with a terrorist threat in Rotterdam on Wednesday evening. In a statement the police said a Special Interventions team entered the man's home around 2:00 a.m., arrested him and searched the home carefully.
A concert by American band Allah-Las in the Maassilo in Rotterdam on Wednesday night, was canceled after the Spanish police tipped the Dutch authorities off about a potential terrorist threat. A few hundred meters from the Maassilo, the Rotterdam police pulled over a van with Spanish license plates and found gas bottles inside. The driver was arrested, RTL Nieuws reports.
Minister Stef Blok of Security and Justice is revoking the Dutch citizenship of a convicted jihadist for the first time. This possibility already existed in Dutch law, but this is the first time it is being used, NOS reports.
On Tuesday website GeenStijl published a screenshot of the online police system showing the name and ethnicity of a driver that crashed into a group of pedestrians at Amsterdam Central Station in June. The Amsterdam police is shocked by this leak. They believe that a police officer must have sent the information to the controversial news site and promise to get to the bottom of it, the Volkskrant reports.
There is no reason to increase the terrorism threat level in the Netherlands following two terrorist attacks in Spain, National Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Security Dick Schoof said on Friday. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sees no reason to adjust the travel advice for Spain, Minister Bert Koenders said to the council of Ministers.
The terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils on Thursday and Friday emphasize the need to hurry with the government formation, VVD leader Halbe Zijlstra said at the start of the formation talks on Friday morning. "A country without a government is really something you should not have for too long, certainly not in this time", he said to newspaper AD.
Zijlstra called the attacks terrible.
A 16-year-old girl from Ommen broke both her legs in a terrorist attack in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon. A van crashed into a crowd of people on the Rambla, killing 13 people and injuring over 100, including three Dutch. The other two Dutch victims are also from Ommen, RTV Oost reports.
The PVV wants the Tweede Kamer to cut its summer recess short and return for a parliamentary debate on the terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, PVV leader Geert Wilders said in a message to the other party leaders, which he also posted on Twitter.
Spain was hit by two terrorist attacks. The first in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon, the second in Cambrils during the early hours of Friday morning. Thirteen people were killed and over 100 others were injured, including three Dutch, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed. Their condition is not life threatening, NOS reports.
The attack in Barcelona happened around 5:00 p.m. A van drove onto the Ramblas, crashing into dozens of people. Thirteen people were killed and over 100 ended up in hospital, including the three Dutch. The perpetrators fled.
Suspected jihadist Lieke S. can await her trial in freedom, as long as she keeps to a number of conditions, the court ruled on Thursday. The 34-year-old woman has been in prison since she was arrested while trying to enter Syria last year, AD reports.
Two Dutch men suspected of involvement in terrorist activities in Suriname, still haven't been allowed to see their lawyers. The Court of Justice in Suriname rejected the lawyers' request that their clients' restrictions be lifted on Wednesday, lawyer Raoul Lobo said to ANP.
Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs added another nine Dutch to the national terrorism list, bringing the total number of names on the list up to 121. Their assets were frozen and they can no longer access their Dutch bank accounts or credit cards, RTL Nieuws reports.
Two Dutch terror suspects arrested in Suriname on Sunday are brothers N.H. and R.H. who live in Paramaribo and work in an Islamic butchery in the Surinamese capital. Both were born in the Netherlands and have Dutch nationality. Their family is shocked by the arrests, NOS reports.
Dutch woman Laura H. will be released from custody and can await trail in freedom, as long as she keeps to a number of conditions, the court in Rotterdam ruled on Thursday. She has to wear an ankle monitor, stay away from borders and airports, check in with the rehabilitation service on a regular basis and is not allowed any contact with her husband, NOS reports.
Mounir E. from Spijkensse can not be prosecuted for breaking an area ban imposed on him during the Rotterdam Marathon earlier this year, because of "carelessness" by the Ministry of Security and Justice when imposing the ban, the court in Rotterdam ruled, AD reports.
Dutch jihadist Marouane B. made a rap video and sent it to various Dutch news services, including the Telegraaf and Crimesite. According to him, the video was partly filmed in Syria and he is currently in Raqqa.
The title of the song is "Ik kom ooit terug", or "I'll come back someday" in English. In the song he tells his mother not to worry, he'll be back in the Netherlands someday. He also apologizes for the poor quality of the recording and refers to the trial that awaits him when he returns to the Netherlands.
Terrorist group ISIS called for a terrorist attack during the European Women's Championship football match in Galgenwaard Stadium in Utrecht on July 19th. The call was placed on a pro-ISIS telegram channel according to RTL Nieuws.
England and Scotland will be playing in the affected match.
The Dutch police service responsible for international information exchange is facing serious staff shortages and a failing computer system, sources within the international legal aid center LIRC said to newspaper AD. The officers working in the service fear that they are missing critical tips on terrorism, according to AD.
Suspected jihadist Victor D. from Heeten, Overijssel, wants to return to the Netherlands to be present at his trial, he said in a letter to the court. "In this writing I'm not trying to prove my innocence. I want to tell you what moves me, what touches me and what makes me convinced that I am working for a noble, honest affair", he wrote, according to newspaper AD.
A 38-year-old Syrian refugee arrested in Brunssum, Limburg last month on suspicion of involvement in terrorist act, was released on Friday. According to the Public Prosecutor, investigation revealed that the man is not involved in terrorism.
A new database established in the Netherlands contains profiles on 207 suspected Dutch jihadists who traveled to Syria or Iraq to fight in the civil war. The figures show that the Dutch jihadists come from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, three quarters of them are male and they are mostly young - the average age is 23 years, the Volkskrant reports.