So far the police received 850 tips regarding a mass shooting in Utrecht last week Monday, a police spokesperson said on Opsporing Verzocht on Tuesday. Due to the high number of tips, the police have not yet been able to make personal contact with every caller, but they will, the spokesperson said.
A 21-year-old woman from Nieuwegein who was injured in a mass shooting in Utrecht last week, was discharged from the hospital on Monday. She will continue her recovery at home, her lawyer said on Tuesday, NU.nl reports.
"She thanks everyone for the support she's receiving, in whatever form", the lawyer said. He called on the press to leave the young woman alone and respect her privacy.
The victims of a mass shooting in Utrecht on Monday were commemorated with a silent march in the city on Friday. The 16 thousand attendees included Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus of Justice and Security, Mayor of Amsterdam Femke Halsema, Den Haag mayor Pauline Krikken, and Rotterdam's Deputy Mayor Bert Wijbenga.
The 37-year-old man suspected of opening fire on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, killing three people, confessed to the attack, the Public Prosecutor's office (OM) said on Friday. Meanwhile the release was ordered in the case of the 40-year-old resident of the home where Gokmen T. was arrested.
T. was remanded into custody for two weeks in a hearing earlier that day. "He also stated that he acted alone. In light of the investigation, no comment can be given regarding his statement," the OM said.
A 27-year-old man that was held for a time in connection with a fatal shooting on a tram in Utrecht on Monday, says that people still see him as an attacker - even though the police released him because he wasn't involved in the attack. "On social media I have been called a traitor, and on the street I am addressed as a terrorist", he said to newspaper AD.
The controversial British Sharia preacher Haitham Al Haddad gave "covert" lessons at the Cornelius Haga Lyceum in Amsterdam, newspaper NRC reported on Friday based on a confidential official message that intelligence service AIVD sent to mayor Femke Halsema of Amsterdam in January.
The message also says that other radical Islamic people were also involved in the school and that the school management funded a Chechen terrorist movement, according to the newspaper.
A group of Utrecht residents are organizing a silent march for the victims of a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein. The march will start at 7:00 p.m. on Friday on Jaarbeursplein, from where participants will walk to the scene of the attack, NU.nl reports.
"We want do do this for Utrecht", one of the organizers said to DUIC. "We want to show that we will not be knocked apart. And that we are actually getting closer together and supporting each other in this time."
The police found no indications that suspected gunman Gokmen T. received help from other people in the shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. He acted alone with terrorist intent, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Thursday.
Voter turnout was up substantially in the country's provincial election on Wednesday, compared with turnout in 2015. Some 57.9 percent of eligible voters showed up at polling places, up from 47.8 percent four years earlier, according to RTL Nieuws.
The ruling coalition that forms the Cabinet in The Netherlands was projected to lose seven seats and its majority in the Eerste Kamer, the upper house of Dutch parliament. Eerste Kamer relative newcomer Forum voor Democratie (FvD), a nationalist right wing party, was projected to secure ten seats in the Dutch Senate, and left wing GroenLinks was expected to take eight seats. There are 75 seats in the chamber, with the coalition currently holding 38 for a razor thin majority.
The shooting in Utrecht on Monday that cost the lives of three people and left three other seriously injured is influencing the voting behavior of people in the Provincial States election today, according to a poll by Maurice de Hond. People voting for right-wing, anti-Islam parties FvD and PVV in particular are now more determined to cast their votes on Wednesday, De Hond found.
On Tuesday evening the 13 political party leaders responded to the shooting in Utrecht, in which three people were killed and three seriously injured, at the start of the last political debate before the Provincial States elections on Wednesday. PVV leader Geert Wilders and FvD leader Thierry Baudet decided to use their moment to blame the attack on Prime Minister Mark Rutte (VVD) and CDA leader Sybrand Buma, linking the shooting to the Netherlands' immigration and integration policy, NOS reports.
Authorities tracked down Utrecht mass shooting suspect Gökmen T. using both financial technology and modern technology investigative techniques. The suspect is accused of killing three people and injuring five others after a carjacking in the city.
T. was found after an hours-long manhunt because he used a borrowed mobile phone to transfer money to a friend, reported both De Telegraaf and AD based on information from an anonymous source. The police were already monitoring T.'s financial activities by the time he was revealed as a main suspect in the case.
The Tweede Kamer, the lower house of Dutch parliament, held a moment of silence on Tuesday afternoon to commemorate the three victims killed in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday. The President of the Tweede Kamer, Khadija Arib, opened Tuesday's weekly question and answer session speaking in honor of the victims in Utrecht and also the fifty people killed in a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.
So far the investigation into a shooting on 24 Oktoberlaan in Utrecht on Monday revealed no links between suspected gunman 37-year-old Gokmen T. and the victims, the Public Prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday. Three people were killed and multiple injured, three of whom seriously, in the shooting on a tram on Monday morning.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima expressed their shock about a shooting in Utrecht that left three people killed and five injured on Monday. Their sympathies are with the victims, and their thoughts with the residents of Utrecht, they said in a statement on the Koninklijk Huis website. A number of world leaders also expressed condolences and support.
Gokmen T., the 37-year-old man suspected of killing three people and injuring five in a shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday, has a lengthy criminal record and is considered "scum" among his neighbors. But they don't believe him a terrorist. Relationship problems were behind the shooting, not religion, they told the Volkskrant. Angelique, the victim in a rape case against T., believes the same.
More information is becoming available about the victims of a mass shooting on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning. Rinke Terpstra, a coach at football association DESTO in Leisdche Rijn, and Roos Verschuur, a 19-year-old employee of the Kwalitaria snackbar in Vianen, were killed in the shooting. So far no details are available about the third victim killed. Five people were injured.
Flags across The Netherlands will be lowered, and will fly at half-staff on Tuesday, said Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte at a press conference on Monday evening. The move is in response to a mass shooting that left three people dead, and at least five others injured in Utrecht.
"Our country was startled today by an attack in Utrecht," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said at the beginning of a hastily arranged press conference on Monday afternoon. He was addressing journalists following a shooting inside a tram on the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht on Monday morning.
"Now it is certain that the passengers on a tram were shot. There were injuries and possibly fatalities," he said. "Our thoughts are with the victims whose lives have been turned upside down."
Police in Utrecht are searching for 37-year-old Gökmen T. in connection with the apparent fatal shooting at 24 Oktoberplein in the city. Police released a photo of the man, while simultaneously authorities were investigating the scene of an abandoned car with broadcast reports of a possible explosion threat.
The tram doors wouldn't immediately open after a man opened fire on a tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht at around 10:45 a.m. on Monday morning, according to one witness. Multiple people were injured. Journalists at the scene report seeing a body covered by a sheet, according to NOS. Though the authorities have not yet confirmed whether anyone was killed.
The Dutch authorities are looking for one suspect following a possible terrorist attack in Utrecht on Monday morning, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the national coordinator for counterterrorism and security NCTV, said in a press conference on Monday afternoon. He added that it can not be ruled out that more people were involved.